Born in China
|Born in China|
North America release poster
|Directed by||Lu Chuan|
John Krasinski (American release)|
Zhou Xun (Chinese release)
|Music by||Barnaby Taylor|
|Edited by||Matthew Meech|
Walt Disney Studios|
Shanghai Media Group (China)
|Box office||$25.1 million|
Born in China (我們誕生在中國) is a 2016 nature documentary film directed by Lu Chuan. A co-production between Disneynature and Shanghai Media Group, the film was released in China on August 12, 2016 and in the United States on April 21, 2017, one day before Earth Day. The film focuses on a female snow leopard named Dawa and her cubs, a young golden snub-nosed monkey named Tao Tao, a female giant panda named Ya Ya along with her daughter Mei Mei, and a herd of chiru. The American release of the film is narrated by John Krasinski and the Chinese release is narrated by Zhou Xun.
In the United States and Canada, Born in China opened alongside The Promise, Unforgettable, Free Fire and Phoenix Forgotten, and was projected to gross around $5 million from 1,508 theaters in its opening weekend. It ended up debuting to $4.7 million, finishing 6th at the box office.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 83% based on 41 reviews, with an average rating of 7/10. On Metacritic the film has a score of 57 out of 100, based on 14 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A–" on an A+ to F scale.
- "我们诞生在中国（2016）". cbooo.cn (in Chinese). Retrieved September 15, 2016.
- "Born in China (2017)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved August 12, 2017.
- Brzeski, Patrick (August 14, 2016). "China Box Office: 'Line Walker' Leads Another Quiet Weekend". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- Frater, Patrick (August 11, 2016). "Disney's 'Born in China' Heads for Release". Variety. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- "Box Office: 'Unforgettable' to Get Burned by 'Fate of the Furious'". Variety. April 19, 2017.
- "'Fate Of The Furious' Drives Five Wide Releases Off The Road With $38.6M Second Weekend". Deadline Hollywood. April 23, 2017.
- "Born in China (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved May 26, 2017.
- "Born in China reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- "CinemaScore". cinemascore.com. Retrieved April 21, 2017.[permanent dead link]