May 16, 1989 |
Chilliwack, BC, CAN
|Height||6 ft 0 in (183 cm)|
|Weight||184 lb (83 kg; 13 st 2 lb)|
|Serie A team
HC ’05 Banská Bystrica
|NHL Draft||85th overall, 2007
St. Louis Blues
Brett Sonne (born May 16, 1989) is a Canadian professional ice hockey centre for SG Cortina of the Italian Serie A. He is a former prospect of the St. Louis Blues organization, having been selected by the Blues in the third round, 85th overall, in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. He is the 2009 recipient of the Four Broncos Memorial Trophy as WHL player of the year. Sonne was a member of the gold medal winning Canadian team at the 2009 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships
Sonne began his major junior career with the Calgary Hitmen of the WHL in 2004–05, playing in six games as a 15-year-old. After a 21-point rookie campaign in 2005–06, he scored 21 goals the next season and was subsequently drafted 85th overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft by the St. Louis Blues. A strong start in the 2007–08 season was derailed when he suffered a broken ankle in November 2007 that caused him to miss the majority of the regular season. He emerged as a top player in the WHL, finishing third in league scoring in 2008–09 with 100 points 62 games. He was named to the WHL East First All-Star Team, along with teammates Paul Postma and Brandon Kozun, and won the Four Broncos Memorial Trophy as WHL player of the year, beating out Western Conference nominee and Bob Clarke Trophy-winner Casey Pierro-Zabotel of the Vancouver Giants.
Sonne's dedication to improving his overall game as well as his leadership abilities earned him a spot with the Canadian junior team at the 2009 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships. He recorded one goal and two assists in six games, as Canada won its fifth consecutive gold medal at the tournament.
After four seasons within the Blues organization, Sonne was released as a free agent and signed a one-year contract with Austrian club, Dornbirner EC of the EBEL on July 30, 2013.
- Regular season and playoffs
|Men's ice hockey|
|World Junior Championship|
- Named to the WHL East First All-Star Team in 2009
- Won the Four Broncos Memorial Trophy (WHL player of the year) in 2009.
- Down, John (2009-03-14). "Sonne tops breakout season with NHL deal". Calgary Herald.
- "2008-09 WHL League Leaders". Hockeydb.com. Archived from the original on May 3, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-30.
- "WHL Announces 2008-09 Conference All-Star Teams and Award Finalists". Western Hockey League. Archived from the original on June 2, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-30.
- "WHL Announces 2008-09 Award Winners". Western Hockey League. 2009-04-30. Archived from the original on May 3, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-30.
- "Calgary Hitmen forward Brett Sonne named WHL's top player". National Hockey League. 2009-04-29. Retrieved 2009-04-29.
- "Carl Sneep sent to Rivermen". Rivermen.net. April 9, 2013. Retrieved April 21, 2013.
- "Texas Stars Swap Players With Peoria Rivermen". Texas Stars. April 9, 2013. Archived from the original on April 14, 2013. Retrieved April 21, 2013.
- "Brent Sonne storms into Dornbirn" (in German). Dornbirner EC. 2013-07-30. Retrieved 2013-07-30.