Location of Buşteni
|• Mayor||Emanoil Savin (Democratic Liberal Party)|
|• Total||75.28 km2 (29.07 sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Buşteni (Romanian pronunciation: [buʃˈtenʲ]) is a small mountain town in the north of Prahova County, in central Romania. It is located in the Prahova Valley, at the bottom of the Bucegi mountains, that have a maximum altitude of 2505 m. Its name literally means tree-logs in Romanian. One village, Poiana Ţapului, is administratively part of the town, formerly a separate commune prior to 1950. According to the 2011 census, it has 8,553 inhabitants.
Buşteni's average altitude is 900 m. It is one of the most popular mountain resorts, offering spectacular views, with lots of year-round tourism opportunities, ranging from skiing to mountain climbing.
The town and the surrounding mountains were the site of military confrontations in 1916, during World War I (see Romania during World War I). A large commemorative monument (about 25 m high), Heroes' Cross (Crucea Eroilor) lies atop nearby Caraiman Peak, at nearly 2,260 m. The monument is lighted at night and is visible from virtually everywhere in Buşteni.
|Source: Census data|
The main local industries are wood industry and tourism. Many holiday houses have been recently built in the town.
Also a new Information Tourism Center was set up near the City Hall.
- Ana Maria Brânză: fencer
- Alina Dumitru: judoka
- Simona Halep: tennis player
- Adrian Mutu: footballer
Twin towns — Sister cities
Buşteni is twinned with:
- Daniel Remeș (9 December 2013). "Ana Maria Brânză și Simona Halep, cetățeni de onoare ai Bușteniului". ProSport (in Romanian). Retrieved 2015-05-31.
- "Alina Dumitru și Mutu, cetățeni de onoare ai Bușteniului". Adevărul (in Romanian). 29 June 2011. Retrieved 2015-05-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bușteni.|
- Pictures and landscapes from the Carpathian Mountains
- Alpinet, Website about Carpathian Mountains
- Buşteni sensitive map, Kalinderu ski slope- accommodation hotels, boarding houses - Links
- Buşteni Tourist Office
|This Prahova County location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|