Administrative territory of Predeal in Brașov County
|First attestation||26 February 1705|
|• Type||Mayor-council government|
|• Body||Consiliul Local Predeal|
|• Mayor||Liviu Cocoș (PNL)|
|• Total||57.1 km2 (22.0 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||1,107 m (3,632 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||1,030 m (3,380 ft)|
|down by 15,31% since 2002|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|Source: Census data|
Predeal (pronounced [preˈde̯al]; German: Schanzpass; Hungarian: Predeál) is a town in Brașov County, Romania. Predeal, a mountain resort town, is the highest town in Romania. It is located in the Prahova Valley at an elevation of over 1,000 m (3,281 ft).
The town administers three villages: Pârâul Rece (Hidegpatak), Timișu de Jos (Untertömösch; Alsótömös) and Timișu de Sus (Obertömösch; Felsőtömös).
Beginning in the 2000s, the area experienced a boom in construction, and now many wealthy families own mountain retreats in Predeal.
Predeal is situated in the Centru development region of Romania, in the Prahova Valley, in the southern part of Brașov County. Neighboring towns include Azuga to the south, Bușteni to the southwest, Râșnov to the northwest and Brașov to the north.
The town is mountainous, with the Piatra Mare mountains to the north, the Bucegi mountains to the southwest and the Postăvarul Massif to the northwest. The woods around Predeal have a rich and diversified fauna, including a high number of wild boars, European pine martens, bears, foxes, gray wolves, deer, squirrels, rabbits, badgers and heather cocks.
The town of Predeal is a well-known tourist destination in Romania, especially in winter.
Predeal has five major ski runs, each with a difficulty grade. Most of them have snowmaking guns, and some are fitted with floodlights and ski lifts. The slopes range from 790 metres (2,590 ft) (Clăbucet variantă) to 2,243 metres (7,359 ft) (Cocoșul).
Some of the town's tourist attractions include the 3 Brazi Chalet, The Susai Chalet and The Poiana Secuilor Chalet. In close proximity to Predeal are several tourist destinations, including the Peleş Castle, Râșnov Citadel, Bran Castle, The Old Town of Brașov, Biserica Neagră and the Seven Ladders Canyon.
The town has been certified as a climate resort by government decree (H.G. 226/1992) due to the strongly ionized air rich in ultraviolet radiation and the low atmospheric pressure. Because of this, Predeal is popular within the holistic healing community.
The town is crossed by two national roads (DN73A and DN1) and one national railway (Line 300, one of the main lines in Romania). Predeal is one of the cities which will be crossed by the future Bucharest – Brașov motorway.
- schiori.ro. "Schiori.RO". Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- tourismguide.ro. "Istoric Predeal | Atestare documentara Predeal | Pasul Predeal si Valea Prahovei in istoria Romanilor". Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- "Strategia de dezvoltare a orasului Predeal" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 22 May 2012. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- primaria-predeal.ro. "Primaria Predeal". Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- docstoc.com. "Lista municipiilor infratite din Romania". Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- Iordan, Iorgu (1963). Toponimia romînească. Bucharest: Editura Academiei Republicii Populare Romîne. p. 75. OCLC 460710897.
- forum.wintersports.ro. "*Predeal – partii". Archived from the original on 12 July 2012. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Predeal.|