Ludwigstein Castle (German: Burg Ludwigstein) is a 15th-century castle overlooking the river Werra and surrounded by beautiful woodland. It stands southwest of the town of Witzenhausen in North Hesse and can easily be reached by car or train and bus. Founded in 1415 the castle's buildings today were built in the 16th and 20th centuries.
The Wandervogel and German Youth Movement joined its history when they joined together to save the castle. They bought the castle, renovated it, and founded a memorial for the Wandervogel that were killed in the First World War. The group that was founded in 1945 still takes an active part in the history of the castle and in its support.
The castle's youth education centre (Jugendbildungsstätte) offers both daily programs and weekend seminars, ranging from ecological topics to music and political education. Also on site is the Archive of the German Youth Movement with its own library and special collection to be studied.
The castle is today the main centre of the Bündische Jugend and many German Scouting associations. The Archive of the German Youth Movement shelters estates of important persons.
Since a longer time it is an hostel in a beautiful and real ancient ambiance with up to 180 beds and different meetingrooms.
At the official homepage you can find additional informations - in German language only.
Please use the external link "Foundation Jugendburg Ludwigstein".
- Knud Ahlborn (1888–1977)
- Ellen Gregori (1897–1981)
- Eberhard Koebel (1907–1955) founder of 'Deutsche Jungenschaft vom 1.11.1929'
- Alexander Lion (1870–1962) founder of first German Scout Organization 'Deutscher Pfadfinderbund'
- Karl Otto Paetel (1906–1975)
- Gertrud Prellwitz (1869–1942)
- Gustav Wyneken (1875–1964)
- Foundation Jugendburg Ludwigstein
- Assiciation Jugendburg Ludwigstein e. V.
- Archive of German Youth Movement
- Ecucational centre Ludwigstein gGmbH
|This Scouting or Guiding article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Hesse building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a castle in Germany is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|