C. Martin Croker
|C. Martin Croker|
C. Martin Croker
|Born||Clay Martin Croker
January 10, 1962
Smyrna, Georgia, U.S.
|Died||September 17, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.
|Cause of death||Undisclosed causes|
|Occupation||Voice actor, animator|
|Spouse(s)||April Stephens (m. 1988; div. 2014)|
Clay Martin Croker (January 10, 1962 – September 17, 2016), generally billed as C. Martin Croker, was an American animator and voice actor. He was best known for having provided the voices of Zorak and Moltar on the animated series Space Ghost Coast to Coast, replacing Don Messick, who originally voiced the characters in the 1960s series Space Ghost.
Croker animated various "TNT Toons" promos for TNT in the early 1990s and helped animate and design bumpers for Cartoon Network in 1998. Croker also worked on various commercials and bumpers which often featured well-known cartoon characters.
Croker is best known for providing the voices of Zorak and Moltar in the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim/GameTap animated series Space Ghost Coast to Coast, throughout its entire run from 1994 until 2008. In addition to being the show's principal animator, it was also his idea to have Zorak and Moltar be Space Ghost's sidekicks. He also voiced Zorak on Cartoon Planet and The Brak Show; and voiced Moltar as the host of Toonami from 1997 until 1999.
Croker served as an animator for Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and its 2007 feature film adaption Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters. He also provided the voices for Dr. Weird, Steve, and various characters for the series.
|Space Ghost Coast to Coast||Zorak, Moltar, Various||Animator|
|2000||Brak Presents the Brak Show Starring Brak||Zorak, Wally Gator, Various||Television specials|
|The Brak Show||Zorak|
|2000–2015||Aqua Teen Hunger Force||Dr. Weird, Steve, Various||Animator|
|2004–07; 2014||Perfect Hair Forever||Young Man, Various|
|2005||Sunday Pants||Man||Loving Lovers in Love segments.|
|2007||Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters||Dr. Weird, Steve, Various||Feature film
Death and tributes
Adult Swim honored him by re-airing the first Space Ghost Coast to Coast episode, "Elevator", on September 19, 2016 as a special presentation. The tribute began with a brief description of Croker's contribution to Space Ghost and Adult Swim, with the words his character Zorak said in one episode, "Think of Me when you Look to the Night Sky", then the episode played. After the episode aired, it showed "C. Martin Croker [1962-2016]". In the wake of the news of his death, Croker's friends and colleagues, such as his Coast to Coast friends George Lowe and Andy Merrill, paid tribute to him in posts on social media. Adult Swim has made almost every episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast available for free on their website in honor of him.
On September 24, 2016, at the beginning of Toonami, TOM receives a transmission from Moltar, telling him that he's returning to his home planet and isn't coming back and then boasts that he was the better Toonami host. TOM then wishes Moltar the best of luck and says, "May your oven stay forever lit." It then shows an image of Croker, with the words "(1962-2016)".
- Erickson, Hal (2005). Television cartoon shows: an illustrated encyclopedia, 1949 through 2003. 2 (illustrated ed.). McFarland & Company. pp. 767–769. ISBN 978-0-7864-2256-2. OCLC 57349103. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- True Total Clips - Interview C Martin Crocker - with Sum Dude and That Guy Posted on YouTube on July 10, 2016.
- Barsanti, Sam. "R.I.P. Clay Martin Croker, Adult Swim animator and voice actor". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Lincoln, Ross. "C. Martin Croker Dies: Voice Actor And Animator On ‘Space Ghost Coast To Coast’ And ‘Aqua Teen Hunger Force’ Was 54". Deadline.com. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Statement made by Adult Swim on September 18, 2016.
- Statement made by Adult Swim on September 19, 2016.
- Adult Swim (2016-09-26), Moltar's Transmission | Toonami | Adult Swim, retrieved 2016-09-26
|Actors portraying Zorak
|Actors portraying Moltar