CS 36 Merlin
|Boat weight||13,000 lb (5,897 kg)|
|LOA||36.00 ft (10.97 m)|
|LWL||29.17 ft (8.89 m)|
|Beam||11.50 ft (3.51 m)|
|Hull draft||6.25 ft (1.91 m)|
|Engine type||Volvo Penta diesel engine 25 hp (19 kW)|
|Keel/board type||fin keel|
|Ballast||5,590 lb (2,536 kg)|
|Rudder(s)||internally-mounted spade-type/ rudder|
|I (foretriangle height)||45.50 ft (13.87 m)|
|J (foretriangle base)||14.30 ft (4.36 m)|
|P (mainsail luff)||39.50 ft (12.04 m)|
|E (mainsail foot)||14.30 ft (4.36 m)|
|Mainsail area||282.43 sq ft (26.239 m2)|
|Jib/genoa area||325.33 sq ft (30.224 m2)|
|Total sail area||607.75 sq ft (56.462 m2)|
The CS 36 Merlin was produced for almost a year side-by-side with the CS 36, which then became known as the CS 36 Traditional. After the production overlap the Merlin replaced the CS 36 in company's line.
The CS 36 Merlin is a small recreational keelboat, built predominantly of vacuum-bagged fiberglass or Kevlar with a balsa wood core above the waterline. It has a masthead sloop rig, an internally-mounted spade-type rudder and a fixed fin keel. It displaces 13,000 lb (5,897 kg) and carries 5,590 lb (2,536 kg) of ballast.
The boat is fitted with a Swedish Volvo Penta diesel engine of 25 hp (19 kW) as standard equipment. The fuel tank holds 40 U.S. gallons (150 L; 33 imp gal) and the fresh water tank has a capacity of 70 U.S. gallons (260 L; 58 imp gal).
The boat was available with a long list of options, including a Kevlar or fibreglass hull, a swim platform or conventional transom; a 25 hp (19 kW), 28 hp (21 kW) diesel engine or a 43 hp (32 kW) turbocharged engine, a tall mast or regular mast and by the time production ended in 1990 there were four keel configurations: shoal, wing, deep and performance bulb. As a result of the long options list, no two boats outside the charter fleets were built in the same configuration.
- Browning, Randy (2017). "CS 36 Merlin sailboat specifications and details". sailboatdata.com. Retrieved 14 March 2017.
- InterVisionSoft LLC (2017). "Sailboat Specifications for CS 36 Merlin". Sailing Joy. Retrieved 14 March 2017.
- Browning, Randy (2017). "Tony Castro (1962-)". sailboatdata.com. Retrieved 14 March 2017.
- Browning, Randy (2017). "CS 36 sailboat specifications and details". sailboatdata.com. Retrieved 14 March 2017.
- InterVisionSoft LLC (2017). "Sailboat Specifications for CS 36 Merlin WK". Sailing Joy. Retrieved 14 March 2017.