California Department of Finance
|Headquarters||915 L Street, Sacramento, California|
|Annual budget||$83 million (2019-20)|
The California Department of Finance is a state cabinet-level agency within the government of California. The Department of Finance is responsible for preparing, explaining, and administering the state's annual financial plan, which the Governor of California is required under the California Constitution to present by January 10 of each year to the general public. The Department of Finance's other duties include analyzing the budgets of proposed laws in the California State Legislature, creating and monitoring current and future economic forecasts of the state, estimating population demographics and enrollment projections, and maintaining the state's accounting and financial reporting systems.
The current director of finance is Keely Bosler, and is a member of Governor Gavin Newsom's cabinet. Bosler was appointed the department's director in August 2018 by former Governor Jerry Brown. From 2013 to 2016, Bosler served as the Chief Deputy Director in the Department of Finance.
Units within the department
There are nine financial units within the Department of Finance, administering the agency's various duties within the state government:
- Budget Operations Support (BOS)
- Legislative Analyses
- California State Accounting and Reporting System (CALSTARS): Accounting
- Demographic Research Unit (DRU)
- Economic/Financial Research Unit (ER/FR)
- Fiscal Systems and Consulting Unit (FSCU)
- Office of State Audits and Evaluations (OSAE)
- Performance Review Unit (PRU)
- Financial Information System for California (FI$Cal) Project
- "Governmental Role of the Department of Finance". www.dof.ca.gov. Retrieved 2019-11-11.
- "State of California, Department of Finance, Keely Martin Bosler". State of California. 2019-11-10. Retrieved 2019-11-10.
- Official website
- Investment in the California Code of Regulations
- Department of Finance's Population Estimate Methodology
- 2014-2015 Proposed California Budget