Can We Fix It?
|"Can We Fix It?"|
|Single by Paul K. Joyce
John Skipper (Vocals)
|from the album Bob the Builder: The Album|
|B-side||"Bob's Line Dance"|
|Songwriter(s)||Paul K. Joyce|
|Bob the Builder singles chronology|
"Can We Fix It?" is the name of the theme song, written by Paul K. Joyce, from the children's television programme Bob the Builder, produced by Hot Animation. The song's title is derived from the main character's catchphrase. The chorus of the song features this phrase prominently, as well as the response, "Yes we can!"
"Can We Fix It?" became a Christmas number one single in 2000, beating Westlife's "What Makes a Man". It was the biggest selling single of the year in the UK, appearing 80th in the all-time UK best-sellers list. It reached number one in Australia in 2001.
A second single by Bob, "Mambo No. 5", with the lyrics adapted from Lou Bega's 1999 hit version, also reached number one a year later. An album entitled The Album followed, which debuted at No. 4 in the UK Albums Chart, and included a cover of Elton John's "Crocodile Rock".
"Can We Fix It?" was voted 42nd by Channel 4 viewers in November 2003 as one of the 100 worst singles of all-time, despite the song reaching No. 1 in the UK. Additionally, many people had covered this theme several times to celebrate a special tribute to the show.
Nonetheless, the song was rated 8/10 by Stylus Magazine, saying "kids TV themes getting to number one is a thing to be savoured, especially when a) it stops pretentious tosh like "Stan" from reigning at the top of the charts b) when it actually has a much better 2-step beat than any of the garage number ones from the previous 18 months." 
The song has sold over one million copies in the UK, according to the Official Charts Company. The song was the best selling of 2000 in the UK and the 10th biggest selling single of the 2000s (decade).
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||1|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||1|
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). US: Guinness World Records Limited. pp. 654–5. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Paul K Joyce - Bob the Builder". Pkjmusicftp.com. 2001-05-24. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Ami Sedghi (4 November 2012). "UK's million-selling singles: the full list". Guardian. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "Australian-charts.com – Bob the Builder – Can We Fix It?". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Chart Track: Week 51, 2000". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
"I Have a Dream"/"Seasons in the Sun"
|UK Christmas number-one single
Robbie Williams and Nicole Kidman
"Stan" by Eminem
|UK Singles Chart number-one single
17 December 2000 – 7 January 2001
"Touch Me" by Rui Da Silva featuring Cassandra
"Hanging by a Moment" by Lifehouse
|ARIA (Australia) number one single
16 September 2001
"Can't Get You Out of My Head" by Kylie Minogue