Cap'n Jazz performing live in 2010
|Origin||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Genres||Emo, indie rock, post-hardcore|
|Years active||1989–1995, 2010|
|Associated acts||Joan of Arc, The Promise Ring, Make Believe, Owls, Owen, American Football, Ghosts and Vodka|
|Past members||Tim Kinsella
Davey von Bohlen
Cap'n Jazz was an American emo band formed in Chicago in 1989 by brothers Tim and Mike Kinsella, who were joined by Sam Zurick and Victor Villarreal. After a number of name changes and the addition of guitarist Davey von Bohlen the band began to earn a cult following in the Chicago area and the Midwest.
Capn'n Jazz recorded several singles for independent labels in the early 90s as well as contributing to several compilations.
In 1995, the band released its only full-length album, Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Balloon Sports, Cards in the Spokes, Automatic Biographies, Kites, Kung Fu, Trophies, Banana Peels We've Slipped on and Egg Shells We've Tippy Toed Over on the Man with Gun label. The album is sometimes referred to as Shmap'n Shmazz, which was printed on top of the CD.
The band broke up in July 1995, shortly after Shmap'n Shmazz's release, on the night of a show at Little Rock's Das Yutes a Go-Go. In 1998, Jade Tree assembled a double-disc Cap'n Jazz retrospective titled Analphabetapolothology which compiles the band's complete recorded works: Shmap'n Shmazz, early singles, material from split releases, compilation tracks, unreleased demos and outtakes and several tracks from their farewell performance in Chicago.
Cap'n Jazz reunited at The Empty Bottle on Friday, January 22, 2010, as part of Joan of Arc's Don't Mind Control Variety Show.
After playing that short, impromptu set in Chicago, the band played its first official reunited show at the annual Forecastle Festival in Louisville on July 10, 2010, and a hometown reunion show a week later at the Bottom Lounge, supporting the vinyl re-release of Analphabetapolothology on Jade Tree Records, where they gained success. Due to the show selling out in about 48 hours, a second show was added the next night. Later, it was announced that they would also be playing reunion shows across the United States  during the summer and fall of 2010.
Cap N Jazz have influenced a number of bands. Former members of the band continue to play music, most notably in Make Believe, The Promise Ring, American Football, Owls, Ghosts and Vodka, Joan of Arc and Owen.
- Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Balloon Sports, Cards in the Spokes, Automatic Biographies, Kites, Kung Fu, Trophies, Banana Peels We've Slipped On and Egg Shells We've Tippy Toed Over (Also known as Shmap'n Shmazz) – LP/CD (Man With Gun Records, 1994).
- Sometimes if you stand further away from something, it does not seem as big. Sometimes you can stand so close to something you can not tell what you are looking at. – 7” (Underdog Records, 1993).
- Boys 16 to 18 Years... Age of Action – (Further Beyond Records, 1993).
- Analphabetapolothology – 2xCD (Jade Tree Records, 1998), 2xLP (Jade Tree Records 2010).
- Achtung Chicago! Zwei! – compilation LP (Underdog Records, 1993).
- Nothing Dies with Blue Skies – 7” split w/ Friction (Shakefork Records, 1993).
- How the Midwest Was Won – compilation 2x7” (Subfusc Records, 1993) (Playing Field Recordings, 1993).
- Picking More Daisies – compilation 2x7” (Further Beyond Records, 1993).
- It’s a Punk Thing, You Wouldn't Understand – compilation LP (Shakefork Records, 1993).
- Ghost Dance – compilation 2x7” (Slave Cut Records, 1993).
- A Very Punk Christmas – compilation 2x7” (The Rocco Empire & Further Beyond Records, 1993).
- Punk TV – compilation LP (Red Dawg Records, 1995).
- We’ve Lost Beauty – compilation LP (File 13, 1995).
- Ooh Do I Love You – compilation 2xCD (Core For Care, 1995).
- Sclafani, Tony. "Cap'n Jazz: Interview". Prefix Media. Retrieved November 18, 2010.
- Aubin (July 1, 2010). "Contests: Win music and tickets from Cap'n Jazz". Punknews.org. Retrieved May 11, 2011.
- "Cap'n Jazz – Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Balloon Sports, Cards In The Spokes, Automatic Biographies, Kites, Kung Fu, Trophies, Banana Peels We've Slipped On, And Egg Shells We've Tippy Toed Over". Discogs. Retrieved 13 April 2015.
- Wolf, Erin. "Reviewed: Cap’n Jazz Reunion Show at the Bottom Lounge". Vital Media Group. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "Photos: Cap’n Jazz at Forecastle". Buzzgrinder. July 13, 2010. Retrieved November 11, 2010.
- Hudson, Alex. "Cap'n Jazz Officially Reunite, Reissue Analphabetapolothology on Vinyl". exclaim.ca. Retrieved February 4, 2011.
- Deem, Anna. "Cap'n Jazz Reunite in Chicago After 15-Year Hiatus". AOL Music. Retrieved February 4, 2011.
- "Tours". Jade Tree. Retrieved November 11, 2010.