Parola in 1974
|Full name||Carlo Parola|
|Date of birth||20 September 1921|
|Place of birth||Turin, Italy|
|Date of death||22 March 2000(aged 78)|
|Place of death||Turin, Italy|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only
Carlo Parola (20 September 1921 – 22 March 2000), was an Italian footballer and coach, from Turin, who played as a defender. Throughout his career, he won domestic titles with Italian club Juventus, both as a player and as a manager. At international level, he took part at the 1950 FIFA World Cup with the Italy national football team.
Parola is mostly known for his time with Juventus with whom he played over 300 games between 1939 and 1954, winning two Serie A titles and a Coppa Italia, and even serving as the club's captain from 1949 onwards. He also had brief spells with Lazio and Midland in Argentina, before going into management. At international level, he was capped for Italy on 10 occasions between 1945 and 1950, and represented his country at the 1950 FIFA World Cup.
As a coach, he managed several Italian clubs throughout his career, and had spells with Anconitana, Juventus, Livorno, and Novara. He won the Serie A title during his second spell as Juventus's coach in 1975, a title he had previously also won as a player for the club.
Style of play
A quick, mobile, hard-working, versatile, and powerful player, with good technique, Parola was capable of playing both as a defender and as a defensive midfielder, due to his strength, stamina, and man-marking, which led him to be regarded as one of Italy's greatest defenders. An agile player, he was also known for his skill in the air, and ability to score goals with acrobatic strikes, from volleys and bicycle kicks; indeed, during the 1940s, he popularised the use of the bicycle kick in Italy, earning the nickname Signor Rovesciata ("Mr. Overhead Kick"), and was even credited with its invention by the Italians.
- Carlo Parola's statistics at Juventus - www.myjuve.it -
- Stefano Bedeschi (20 September 2013). "Gli eroi in bianconero: Carlo PAROLA" (in Italian). Tutto Juve. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- MASSIMO VINCENZI (22 March 2000). "Addio a Carlo Parola L'icona del calcio" (in Italian). La Repubblica. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Parola, Carlo" (in Italian). FIGC. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- Mario Sconcerti (23 November 2016). "Il volo di Bonucci e la classifica degli 8 migliori difensori italiani di sempre" (in Italian). Il Corriere della Sera. Retrieved 27 December 2016.
- "Milestones". Time. New York City: Time Inc. 155 (13): 25. April 2000.
- Glanville, Brian (1968). Soccer: A History of the Game, Its Players, and Its Strategy. New York City: Crown Publishing Group. ISBN 978-0-517-50796-4.
- Simpson, Paul; Hesse, Uli (2013). Who Invented the Stepover?. London: Profile Books Ltd. ISBN 978-1-78125-006-8.
|Juventus F.C. captains