Carlos Gereda y de Borbón
|Carlos Gereda y de Borbón|
|Grand Master of the Paris-Malta obedience of the Order of Saint Lazarus|
|Reign||12 October 2008 – 29 August 2017 (his death)|
|Predecessor||Francisco de Borbón y Escasany
François de Cossé-Brissac
|Marquess of Almazán (jure uxoris)|
|Reign||15 February 1975 – 29 August 2017|
|Predecessor||Jaime Castellano y Mazarredo|
24 January 1947|
29 August 2017|
|Spouse||María las Nieves Castellano y Barón, Marchioness of Almazán|
|Father||Don Nicolás Gereda y Bustamante|
|Mother||Doña María Luisa de Borbón y Pínto|
The youngest son of Don Nicolás Gereda y Bustamante, his mother Doña María Luisa de Borbón y Pintó was the only daughter of Alberto María de Borbón y d'Ast, 2nd Duke of Santa Elena, making Don Carlos a great-great-great-great-great-grandson of Charles IV of Spain.
Carlos Gereda y de Borbón was the 49th Grand Master of the Paris-Malta obedience of the Order of Saint Lazarus (instituted 1910) from 2008 until his death, as such succeeding the Duke of Seville and the Duke of Brissac.
Early life and background
Don Carlos spent his early childhood in Spain, before being sent to Ladycross Preparatory School in Sussex, England. He then attended Downside School, a Benedictine foundation in Somerset, before reading Industrial Engineering at the Complutense University of Madrid.
In 1975 Don Carlos embarked on a career in business as a commercial development entrepreneur, which has provided him opportunities to travel the world from the Far East to South America and Central Europe. He and his wife, Blanche, lived in Buenos Aires from 1979 to 1986, from where she still operates an oil services company.
Titles and styles
- 1947 — 1975: Don Carlos Gereda y de Borbón
- 1975 — 2008: Don Carlos Gereda y de Borbón, Marquess of Almazán, iure uxoris ("by right of his wife") as is customary in Spain, being married to the substantive title holder of that marquessate
- 2008 — 2017: His Excellency Don Carlos Gereda y de Borbón, Marquess of Almazán, 49th Grand Master of the Military and Hospitaller Order of St Lazarus of Jerusalem
- Sovereign Military Order of Malta: Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta
- Spain: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Charles III
- Georgia: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Eagle of Georgia
- 49th Grand Master of the Paris-Malta obedience of the Order of Saint Lazarus (statuted 1910), invested at the Chapter-General in 2008, elected after swearing the solemn oath in the presence of knights and dames of the order at Manchester Cathedral, United Kingdom.
Carlos Gereda y de Borbón died at his residence in Madrid, Spain, on 29 August 2017, following a short illness. He was buried two days later in a private family ceremony.
- Carlos Gereda y de Borbón
- Cronista de Armas de Castilla y Leon, 01/2010.
- The Military and Hospitaller Order Of Saint Lazarus Of Jerusalem
- Further on the Order of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem
- Principia. Centro de Ciencia Principia. (Principia Science Centre)
- An Order of St Lazarus investiture led by the Grand Master, S.E. Carlos Gereda de Borbón, at Santa Iglesia Catedral de Córdoba (2014)
- "H.E. Don Carlos Gereda de Borbon, Marquis de Almazan, 49th Grand Master". Structure: Persons: Grand Master. Order of Saint Lazarus (instituted 1910).
- Announcement of death at OSLJ website.