January 9, 1822|
Jägerndorf, (today Krnov, Czech Republic)
October 30, 1896|
|Nationality||Kingdom of Romania|
|Awards||1881 Knight Commander KCSG Order of St. Gregory the Great|
St. Joseph Cathedral Bucharest
Brâncovenesc Hospital Bucharest
reconstruction of Tismana Monastery
reconstruction of Bistrița Monastery
Carol Benesch (January 9, 1822, Jägerndorf, Austro-Hungarian Empire, today Krnov, Czech Republic - October 30, 1896, Bucharest, Romania) was a Silesian architect of Historicism and Eclecticism orientation established in the Kingdom of Romania.
He was the father of Oscar Benes (1866-1925), chief architect of Bârlad.
In different documents his name is spelled Carl Benesch, Carol Benisch, Carl Benisch, Carol Beneș, Carl Beneș, Carol Beniș, Carl Beniș.
Education and career
In 1865 he was nominated Chief Architect of the City of Bucharest.
Benesch was founding member and first vice-president of The Architects Society in Romania (Societatea Arhitecților din România) (1891-1892).
- Peleș Castle - Sinaia
- St. Joseph's Cathedral (Catedrala Sfântul Iosif), Roman Catholic Cathedral - Bucharest - 1873-1884
- Domniţa Bălaşa Church (Biserica Domniţa Bălaşa) - Bucharest 1895
- Brâncovenesc Hospital (Spitalul Brâncovenesc) - Bucharest 1881-1885
- Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul, Constanța - 1883-1885
- Asylum Elena Doamna (Azilul Elena Doamna) - Bucharest 1862-1870
- Reconstruction of Tismana Monastery - Gorj County - 1855
- Reconstruction of Bistrița Monastery - Vâlcea County - 1855
- Reconstruction of Arnota Monastery - Vâlcea County - 1851
Awards and honors
In recognition of his personal service to the Holy See and the Church, for his works of the St. Joseph's Cathedral (Catedrala Sfântul Iosif), in 1881, Benesch was awarded by Pope Leo XIII with the Pontifical Equestrian Order of St. Gregory the Great, Knight Commander KCSG, being named Carol Vallaquiensi (Carol of/from Wallachia).
- Paul Constantin, Universal Dictionary of Architects (Dicționar Universal al Arhitecților), București, Editura Stiințifică si Enciclopedică, 1986 p. 39.