Caroline Fox (24 May 1819 – 12 January 1871) was a Cornish diarist.
Caroline Fox was born 24 May 1819. She was the daughter of Robert Were Fox FRS of the influential Fox family of Falmouth and his wife, Maria Barclay. She was the younger sister of both Barclay Fox, also a diarist, and Anna Maria Fox.
Caroline was well known as the author of a diary, recording memories of many distinguished people, such as John Stuart Mill, John Sterling and Thomas Carlyle. Selections from her diary and correspondence (1835–1871) were published under the title of Memories of Old Friends: Caroline Fox of Penjerrick, Cornwall (edited by H. N. Pym, 1881; 2nd edition, 1882). A selection from the Victorian edition was published in 1972.
She died on 12 January 1871 and was buried in the Quaker Burial Ground at Budock.
- Fox, Caroline (1972). Wendy Monk, ed. The journals of Caroline Fox, 1835–1871: a selection. London: Paul Elek. ISBN 0-236-15447-8.
- Tod, Robert (1980). Caroline Fox, Quaker blue-stocking 1819–1871, friend of John Stuart Mill, Thomas and Jane Carlyle, Frederick Denison Maurice and helper of sailors in distress. York: Sessions. ISBN 0-900657-54-5.
Notes and references
|Wikisource has the text of a 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article about Caroline Fox.|
- Fox, Caroline (1883). Horace N. Pym, ed. Memories of Old Friends. London: Smith, Elder, and Co. - Frontispiece, from an etching by Sir Hubert Herkomer, after a painting by Samuel Laurence, depicting Caroline Fox, age 27. Volume 1 available online at Internet Archive and Volume 2 at Internet Archive
- Robinson, William (1891). Friends of a Half Century. London: Edward Hicks. Retrieved 2007-12-09. - page 138
- Fox (1883)
- Her brother's journal was published in 1979, in a scholarly edition.
- For more details about this publication and the editor's relationships with members of the Fox family, see the Wikipedia article on Horace Pym
The journals of Caroline Fox, 1835–1871: a selection, ed. Wendy Monk; London, Paul Elek, (1972) ISBN 0-236-15447-8
- see also
- (Henry) Wilson Harris (1883–1955), journalist and author (Biographer of Caroline Fox), is the subject of an article in ODNB: Derek Hudson, ‘Harris, (Henry) Wilson (1883–1955)’, rev. Marc Brodie, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004 , accessed 10 Dec 2007] His parents were Plymouth Quakers.