Castra of Bumbești-Jiu – Vârtop
|Castra of Bumbești-Jiu - Vârtop|
|Founded||2nd century AD|
|Abandoned||2nd century AD|
|Place in the Roman world|
|Administrative unit||Dacia Malvensis|
|Administrative unit||Dacia Inferior|
|Directly connected to|
|— Wood and earth structure —|
|Size and area||126 m x 115 m (1.4 ha)|
|Stationed military units|
|— Legions —|
|V Macedonica|
|— Cohorts —|
|Altitude||c. 280 m|
|Recognition||National Historical Monument|
|Exhibitions||"Alexandru Ștefulescu" History and Archeology Museum|
The castra of Bumbești-Jiu now known as Vârtop was a fort in the Roman province of Dacia in the 2nd century AD. A contemporary settlement was also unearthed at the fort. The ruins of the fort are located in Bumbești-Jiu (Romania). In the same town, the ruins of an other Roman fort were also unearthed.
- Roman castra from Romania - Google Maps / Earth
- Castrele romane de la Bumbești Jiu, cea mai simplă soluție pentru dezvoltarea orașului
- "Situl arheologic din epoca romană de la Bumbeşti Jiu - "Vârtop"". National Archaeological Record of Romania (RAN). ran.cimec.ro. 3 June 2009. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- "Lista Monumentelor Istorice 2010 ("2010 List of Historic Monuments")" (PDF). Monitorul Oficial al României, Partea I, Nr. 670 ("Romania's Official Journal, Part I, Nr. 670"), page 1217. Ministerul Culturii şi Patrimoniului Naţional. 1 October 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 June 2012. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- Istoria Daciei romane, de Adrian Bejan Archived December 5, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Manuscrisele lui Pamfil Polonic". cimec.ro. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- Vlădescu, Cristian M. (1986). Fortificațiile romane din Dacia Inferior ("Roman Forts in Lower Dacia") (in Romanian). Scrisul Românesc.
|This Dacia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|