Central Private School
|Central Private School|
12801 Centerra Court
|Color(s)||Red, Grey, & White|
|Mascot||Redhawks (formerly Rebels)|
Central Private School (CPS) or Central Private (CP) is a private education institution located in Central City, Louisiana. The school was founded in the 1967 amidst the court ordered desegregation of public schools. CPS is one of several private schools located in East Baton Rouge Parish.
The school's faculty is composed of 44.5 FTE teachers.
Subjects include science, art, mathematics, language arts, physical education, social studies, and foreign languages.
The majority of the students are white (86%), along with students of other ethnicities. The school enrolls students from East Baton Rouge and surrounding areas.
The school left the Louisiana Independent School Association in 1992 to join the Mississippi Private School Association (MPSA). The MPSA changed its name in 2009 to the Mississippi Association of Independent Schools (MAIS). Effective July 1, 2019, Central Private joined the Louisiana High School Athletic Association (LHSAA). It competes in District 1-A.
- Baseball—The Rebels have won 12 championships since the school's opening in 1971, including the years 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2013.
- Basketball—The Rebels won four consecutive titles[specify] from 1998–2002. In 2013, Central Private's boys basketball team became the first school from the state of Louisiana to win the MAIS overall championship.
In 2019, the school changed its athletic team name from The Rebels to The Redhawks.
- Lane Mestepey, LSU Tigers baseball pitcher
- Josh Wall, MLB player (Los Angeles Dodgers)
- "Central Private School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 17 February 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Private school study approved". Daily World. Opelousas, Louisiana. July 1, 1969. p. 1.
-  Archived February 12, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- MPSA Home Page
- "Central Private Now the Redhawks". Central City News. 2019-07-18. Retrieved 2020-03-06.