Chad Beguelin (born September 24, 1969) is an American playwright and four-time Tony Award nominee. He wrote the book for Disney's Aladdin, as well as additional lyrics for the score. He was nominated for Best Original Book and Best Original Score for Aladdin. He also wrote the lyrics and co-wrote the book for the Broadway musical The Wedding Singer. He was nominated for two Tony Awards for his work on the musical, as well as a Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Lyrics. He also wrote the lyrics for the Broadway musical Elf the Musical.
Beguelin wrote the book and lyrics for The Rhythm Club which was produced at the Signature Theatre, Arlington, Virginia in 2000 and was nominated for a Helen Hayes Award. He wrote the book and lyrics for Wicked City, which was produced at the American Stage Company and the Mason Street Warehouse, Saugatuck, Michigan, in 2004.  He wrote the books for Disney's Aladdin and On the Record.
Casey Nicholaw directed and choreographed the stage musical Aladdin which ran at the 5th Avenue Theatre, Seattle, Washington, July 7–31, 2011. The musical uses songs from the 1992 film Aladdin, with a new book by Beguelin and new lyrics by Beguelin and Alan Menken. The musical opened on Broadway on March 20, 2014 at the New Amsterdam Theatre.
Beguelin made his Off-Broadway playwrighting debut with Harbor, directed by Mark Lamos, presented by Primary Stages, from August 6, 2013 to September 8, 2013. Harbor had its world premiere at the Westport Country Playhouse, Westport, Connecticut, from August 2012 to September 15, 2012, directed by Mark Lamos.
Beguelin and Bob Martin wrote the book for a new musical based on the film Gotta Dance, titled Half Time, with music by Matthew Sklar and lyrics by Nell Benjamin, with additional music by Marvin Hamlisch. Directed and choreographed by Jerry Mitchell, the musical premiered at the Bank of America Theatre in Chicago on December 13, 2015, running through January 17, 2016. It had originally been expected to open on Broadway in the Fall of 2016, but the Broadway premiere has been announced for the Spring of 2017.
He wrote the book with Bob Martin and lyrics for a new musical The Prom, with music by Matthew Sklar based on an original concept by Jack Viertel. The musical premiered at the Alliance Theatre, Atlanta, Georgia on August 18, 2016 (previews) directed by Casey Nicholaw.
Awards and honors
He has received four Tony Award nominations: 2014 Best Book of a Musical and Best Original Score Written for the Theatre for Aladdin; 2006 Best Book of a Musical and Best Original Score for The Wedding Singer.
- Jones, Kenneth; Ehren, Christine. "Who's Got Rhythm? Musical 'Rhythm Club' Still Strummin'" playbill.com, August 2, 2002
- "Saugatuck’s Mason Street Warehouse Presents World Premiere of 'Wicked City'" masonstreetwarehouse.org, August 4, 2004
- "Seattle's 5th Avenue Theatre Premieres Aladdin, 7/7-31", BroadwayWorld.com, January 13, 2011
- Hetrick, Adam. "Disney's 'Aladdin' Will Arrive on Broadway in February 2014", Playbill.com, August 29, 2013
- " Aladdin Broadway" Playbill Vault, accessed October 15, 2015
- Propst, Andy. "Chad Beguelin's Harbor to Dock in New York" theatremania.com, January 10, 2013
- Harbor lortel.org, accessed December 15, 2015
- Hennessy, Christina. "World premiere comedy sails into Westport Country Playhouse" ctpost.com, August 21, 2012
- Gans, Andrew (December 14, 2015). "Gotta Dance, Helmed by Jerry Mitchell, Extends Chicago Run; Broadway Debut Set for Fall". Playbill.
- Gans, Andrew. "Broadway-Bound 'Gotta Dance' Gets a New Title and Music Collaborator" Playbill, July 13, 2016
- Gans, Andrew. " 'The Prom', from Drowsy Chaperone and Wedding Singer Creators, Begins Previews Tonight" Playbill, August 18, 2016
- "Beguelin Awards" ibdb.com, accessed July 15, 2016
- Hernandez, Ernio. "'The Rhythm Club' Team Win Gonzalez-Falla Musical Theatre Award, Dec. 8" playbill.com, December 8, 2003
- Kleban Award newdramatists.org
- Beguelin, Chad. Official website for Chad Beguelin. Retrieved March 2009.