Chad Beguelin (born September 24, 1969) is an American playwright and four-time Tony Award nominee. He wrote the book for Disney's Aladdin, as well as additional lyrics for the score. He was nominated for Best Original Book and Best Original Score for Aladdin. He is also known for his collaborations with composer Matthew Sklar, having written the lyrics and co-written the book for the Broadway musical The Wedding Singer and the lyrics for the Broadway musical Elf the Musical. Beguelin was nominated for two Tony Awards for his work on The Wedding Singer, as well as a Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Lyrics.
Beguelin wrote the book and lyrics for The Rhythm Club which was produced at the Signature Theatre, Arlington, Virginia in 2000 and was nominated for a Helen Hayes Award. He wrote the book and lyrics for Wicked City, which was produced at the American Stage Company and the Mason Street Warehouse, Saugatuck, Michigan, in 2004.  He wrote the books for Disney's Aladdin and On the Record.
Casey Nicholaw directed and choreographed the stage musical Aladdin which ran at the 5th Avenue Theatre, Seattle, Washington, July 7–31, 2011. The musical uses songs from the 1992 film Aladdin, with a new book by Beguelin and new lyrics by Beguelin and Alan Menken. The musical opened on Broadway on March 20, 2014 at the New Amsterdam Theatre.
Beguelin made his Off-Broadway playwrighting debut with Harbor, directed by Mark Lamos, presented by Primary Stages, from August 6, 2013 to September 8, 2013. Harbor had its world premiere at the Westport Country Playhouse, Westport, Connecticut, from August 2012 to September 15, 2012, directed by Mark Lamos.
Beguelin and Bob Martin wrote the book for a new musical based on the film Gotta Dance, titled Half Time, with music by Matthew Sklar and lyrics by Nell Benjamin, with additional music by Marvin Hamlisch. Directed and choreographed by Jerry Mitchell, the musical premiered at the Bank of America Theatre in Chicago on December 13, 2015, running through January 17, 2016. It had originally been expected to open on Broadway in the Fall of 2016, and then for the Spring of 2017. The musical instead opened at the Papermill Playhouse, Millburn, New Jersey on May 31, 2018. The cast stars André De Shields, Georgia Engel, Donna McKechnie and Lillias White.
He wrote the book with Bob Martin and lyrics for a new musical The Prom, with music by Matthew Sklar based on an original concept by Jack Viertel. The musical premiered at the Alliance Theatre, Atlanta, Georgia on August 18, 2016 in previews, directed by Casey Nicholaw. The musical is expected to open on Broadway at the Longacre Theatre on November 15, 2018, with previews starting on October 23, 2018. 
Awards and honors
He has received four Tony Award nominations: 2014 Best Book of a Musical and Best Original Score Written for the Theatre for Aladdin; 2006 Best Book of a Musical and Best Original Score for The Wedding Singer.
Beguelin has received the Jonathan Larson Performing Arts Foundation Award, the Gilman & Gonzalez-Falla Theatre Foundation Award, and the Edward Kleban Award for Outstanding Lyric Writing. He was named to the Centralia High School Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame in November 2016.
- Jones, Kenneth; Ehren, Christine. "Who's Got Rhythm? Musical 'Rhythm Club' Still Strummin'" Archived October 19, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. playbill.com, August 2, 2002
- "Saugatuck’s Mason Street Warehouse Presents World Premiere of 'Wicked City'" masonstreetwarehouse.org, August 4, 2004
- "Seattle's 5th Avenue Theatre Premieres Aladdin, 7/7-31", BroadwayWorld.com, January 13, 2011
- Hetrick, Adam. "Disney's 'Aladdin' Will Arrive on Broadway in February 2014", Playbill.com, August 29, 2013
- " Aladdin Broadway" Playbill Vault, accessed October 15, 2015
- Propst, Andy. "Chad Beguelin's Harbor to Dock in New York" theatremania.com, January 10, 2013
- Harbor lortel.org, accessed December 15, 2015
- Hennessy, Christina. "World premiere comedy sails into Westport Country Playhouse" ctpost.com, August 21, 2012
- Gans, Andrew (December 14, 2015). "Gotta Dance, Helmed by Jerry Mitchell, Extends Chicago Run; Broadway Debut Set for Fall". Playbill.
- Gans, Andrew. "Broadway-Bound 'Gotta Dance' Gets a New Title and Music Collaborator" Playbill, July 13, 2016
- Hetrick, Adam. "New Musical 'Half Time', Starring André De Shields, Georgia Engel, Donna McKechnie, and Lillias White, Begins Paper Mill Run" Playbill, May 31, 2018
- Gans, Andrew. " 'The Prom', from Drowsy Chaperone and Wedding Singer Creators, Begins Previews Tonight" Playbill, August 18, 2016
- McPhee, Ryan. "Full Cast Set for Broadway’s 'The Prom'" Playbill, May 3, 2018
- McPhee, Ryan. " 'The Prom' Sets New Broadway Start Date" Playbill, June 13, 2018
- McPhee, Ryan. "Musical Comedy 'The Prom' Switches Theatres Ahead of Broadway Premiere" Playbill, July 12, 2018
- "Beguelin Awards" ibdb.com, accessed July 15, 2016
- Hernandez, Ernio. "'The Rhythm Club' Team Win Gonzalez-Falla Musical Theatre Award, Dec. 8" playbill.com, December 8, 2003
- Kleban Award newdramatists.org
- Beguelin, Chad. Official website for Chad Beguelin. Retrieved March 2009.