Chan Meng Kam
|Chan Meng Kam
|Member of the Legislative Assembly|
25 September 2005
|Preceded by||Vitor Cheung|
|Constituency||Macau (Directly elected)|
November 9, 1962 |
Ludongcun, Dongshi, Jinjiang, Fujian
|Political party||United Citizens Association of Macau|
Chan Meng Kam (Chinese: 陳明金; born 9 November 1962 in Ludongcun, Dongshi, Jinjiang, Fujian) is a member of the Legislative Assembly of Macau. Chan Meng Kam is a member of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, President of the Macau Paralympic Committee, Chairman of City University of Macau and Huaqiao University.
Chan arrived in Macau from mainland China when he was 17 years old.  Despite the lack of education, he establishes himself as one of the predominant figure in Macau society.  Chan made his fortunes during Macau's economic growth in the early 1990s.
In 1990, Chan set up Golden Dragon Group Company Limited  and later become the shareholder of San Miu Supermarket Limited. Currently Chan is one of the richest man in Macau, owning hundreds of residential and commercial properties.  
Chan has strong influence to the local Fujian community due to his background. Since becoming the member of Macau's legislative assembly, Chan strongly promotes the idea of mainland citizens with parents whom is residing in Macau gaining the right for the Macau citizenship.  Chan claims himself invalid for the 2017 legislative election,  as media and public assuming him prepare for becoming Macau's next chief executive candidate.
Chan once gave away over one million hk dollars after scoring hole-in-one. 
In August 2014, Chan's residence was robbed, a sum of 5000 Macau Pataca was stolen with nobody arrested over the incident. 
Chan has a nickname of "The King of voters' choice" (票王) due to high percentage of received votes in each of the election campaign that he has been completed. The title is given by the media mocking the amount of votes come from electoral fraud.    "Black Gold" (黑金) is Chan's other nickname by the media.  
Although Chan has been living in Macau for more than 30 years, he still unable to speak Cantonese fluently with his strong Fijian accent.
Due to Chan's status and social influence,  local media usually portray him in a positive manner, while the Hong Kong media would tend to be less reserved.
|Year||Candidate||Hare quota||Mandate||List Votes||List Pct|
|2005||Chan Meng Kam (ACUM)||10,351||№2/12||20,701||16.57%|
|2009||Chan Meng Kam (ACUM)||8,507||№2/12||17,014||12.00%|
|2013||Chan Meng Kam (ACUM)||6,596||№1/14||26,385||18.02%|
- "第四屆立法會選舉候選名單總" (PDF). 澳門行政暨公職局. 2009-07-15.
- "PROFILE CHAN MENG KAM: FROM POOR MIGRANT TO MACAU MAGNATE". 2016-04-12. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "唔扮嘢，做自己，時間證明一切！陳明金跟你分享他的「瀟灑」哲學 Chan shares his own philosophy (in Chinese)". 2014-07-08. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "携手同行 共创辉煌——记世界福建青年联会会长陈明金". 2010-01-21. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "Properties owned by Chan (in Chinese)". 2017-07-01. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "探射燈：澳高官議員 身家「大晒冷」". 2013-10-21. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "【一桿入洞】澳政界樓王陳明金 業務遍佈不同界別". 2015-05-09. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "Chan focused on overaged children problem coming to Macau (in Chinese)". 2009-09-10. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "CHAN MENG KAM NOT RUNNING FOR AL". 2017-07-06. Retrieved 2017-07-10.
- "The King of voters' choice is not coming back. (in Chinese)". 2017-07-06. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "前進2019 － 澳門版「唐梁之爭」？". 2014-08-14. Retrieved 2017-07-15.
- "Macau tycoon gives away HK$1 mln after hole-in-one". 2015-05-20. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "澳門消息：立會議員陳明金寓所遭持刀賊入屋行劫". 2014-08-22. Retrieved 2017-07-15.
- "Election bribery from Chan's party (in Chinese)". 2015-07-21. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "Macau lawmaker’s campaign staff sentenced for bribing voters". 2015-07-21. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "The raise of Chan's Kingdom (in Chinese)". 2013-05-31. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "賄選罪成高呼遭政治打壓 「民建聯」真係好Ｌ慘". 2015-07-23. Retrieved 2017-07-15.
- "澳门“黑金”直捣胡锦涛大本营？". 2005-11-10. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "澳門選舉開鑼搶閘派錢". 2013-09-05. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "20170531澳門立法會 陳明金：關注公共部門制度問題". 2016-05-31. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "傳力撐昔日跑腿連任澳門議員崩牙駒藉立會選舉 戰賭圈". 2013-08-08. Retrieved 2017-07-15.
- "外交部密切關注金正男事件". 2017-02-16. Retrieved 2017-07-15.
- "三家族主宰澳門 福建幫陳明金冒起". 2009-12-17. Retrieved 2017-07-15.
- "The new chapter of Macau's future (in Chinese)". 2013-02-18. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
|This biographical article from Macau is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|