Chapel of the Chimes (Oakland, California)
Chapel of the Chimes was founded in 1909 as a crematory and columbarium in Oakland, California. The present building dates largely from a 1928 redevelopment based on the designs of the architect Julia Morgan. The Moorish- and Gothic-inspired interior is a maze of small rooms featuring ornate stonework, statues, gardens, fountains and mosaics. The name "chapel" refers primarily to the style of interior design, as it is not a traditional cemetery chapel building.
Chapel of the Chimes holds the records of the Chapel of Memories on Pleasant Valley Avenue.
Garden of Memory
|Garden of Memory|
|Genre||Electronic music, experimental music|
|Dates||Evening of the summer solstice|
|Location(s)||Chapel of the Chimes (Oakland, California)|
|Website||Garden of Memory|
Garden of Memory has been held 1996–present; this is a columbarium walk-through event held every year on the evening of the summer solstice. It features over 40 musicians performing on unique instruments, or compositions designed for the event. The sound is often electronic or electro-acoustic in source and then electronically processed.
Notable burials include the following:
- Harriet Chalmers Adams (1875–1937), explorer
- Malcolm Playfair Anderson (1879–1919), explorer and zoologist
- Dick Bartell (1907–1995), baseball player
- Russ Christopher (1917–1954), baseball player
- Frederick George Coppins (1889–1963), Canadian recipient of the Victoria Cross in World War I
- Al Davis (1929–2011), National Football League executive and Oakland Raiders owner
- John A. Elston (1874–1921), US Congressman
- William Frederick "Bones" Ely (1863–1952), baseball player
- John Lee Hooker (1917–2001), musician
- Charles Goodall Lee (1881 – 1973), First Chinese American Dentist
- Stephen Stucker (1947-1986), Actor, comedian
- Friend Richardson (1865–1943), California governor
- Henry Vollmer (1867–1930), mayor of Davenport, Iowa, US Congressman
- Herbert Archer (H.A.) Richardson, timber and shipping magnate
- Grace Richardson Butterfield, California State Parks Board, Grand Matron of the Eastern Star
- William "Bill" Belford (1929–2005), "Godfather" of McClymonds High School – Oakland
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chapel of the Chimes (Oakland, California).|
- Chapel of the Chimes Oakland. "Chapel of the Chimes Oakland – Oakland, CA". Oakland.chapelofthechimes.com. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- "a columbarium walk-through event at the Chapel of the Chimes". Garden of Memory. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
-  Archived December 3, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- Jason Victor Serinus. "A mystical, musical garden of memory". San Francisco Examiner. Archived from the original on 2012-08-05. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- "Garden of Memory - a columbarium walk-through event at the Chapel of the Chimes".
- Garden of Memory
- Chapel of the Chimes (Oakland, California)
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Chapel of the Chimes Cemetery
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Chapel of the Chimes Memorial Park
- Chapel of the Chimes Columbarium and Mausoleum at Find a Grave