Charles Malcolm McDowell
July 10, 1983
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Film director, writer|
|The One I Love|
|Relatives||Alexander Siddig (cousin) |
Ted Danson (stepfather)
Early and personal life
McDowell was born on July 10, 1983, in Los Angeles, California to English actor Malcolm McDowell and American actress Mary Steenburgen. He has an older sister named Lilly (born January 22, 1981) and three younger half-brothers from his father's marriage to Kelley Kuhr. McDowell's stepfather is actor Ted Danson, who married Steenburgen in 1995. Since 2014, McDowell has had a running joke at Steenburgen's expense, claiming on numerous occasions on social media that his mother is actually actress Andie MacDowell.
From 2010 to 2016, Charlie dated actress Rooney Mara. McDowell dated Emilia Clarke from 2018 to 2019. In 2019, Charlie began a relationship with actress Lily Collins, the daughter of English drummer and singer Phil Collins. In September 2020, they announced their engagement. The couple were married on September 4, 2021.
In 2011, McDowell's Twitter feed, @charliemcdowell, was described by Time as "one of the most hilarious Twitter feeds out there," and in 2013 Three Rivers Press published McDowell's book, Dear Girls Above Me, based on his Twitter feed.
His debut film, The One I Love, starring Mark Duplass and Elisabeth Moss had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2014, where shortly after it was acquired by RADiUS-TWC and released in August 2014. In 2015, McDowell directed Sarah Silverman's untitled HBO series pilot. The project was not picked up by the network. McDowell's next film, The Discovery, starred Rooney Mara, Jason Segel, and Robert Redford. The film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and was acquired by Netflix for a global release in 2017.
In March 2017, filmmaker McDowell announced he was adapting author Don DeLillo's novel Zero K as a limited series for FX with Noah Hawley and Scott Rudin producing. McDowell previously directed an episode of Hawley's TV series Legion, also for FX.
In 2019, McDowell directed the first and last episodes of the Showtime series On Becoming a God in Central Florida and also served as an executive producer. He also directed episodes of Silicon Valley, Dear White People, Tales from the Loop and Dispatches from Elsewhere.
His next film, Gilded Rage, will be based on the infamous murder of investment banker Thomas Gilbert Sr., Bill Skarsgård and Christoph Waltz are set to portray the character in different periods of his life. Lily Collins is also set to star in the film.
|2006||Bye Bye Benjamin||Yes||No||Yes||Short film|
|2014||The One I Love||Yes||Executive||No||Feature directorial debut|
|2017||The Discovery||Yes||Yes||Yes||Co-written with Justin Lader|
Co-written with Justin Lader and E. Max Frye
- "Charles Malcolm McDowell". californiabirthindex.org. Retrieved November 18, 2019.
- "Charlie McDowell". Celebrity-birthday.sorg. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- Matt Patches (January 8, 2014). "Sundance Preview: Mark Duplass is Both Mentor and Star on Set of 'The One I Love'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 16, 2016.
- Nigel M Smith (April 18, 2015). "The Indiewire Springboard: Meet Twitter Sensation, Published Author and Director of 'The One I Love, Charlie McDowell". Indiewire. Retrieved January 16, 2016.
- Mattern, Jessica Leigh (September 17, 2018). "How Ted Danson Found Love With Mary Steenburgen After Leaving Whoopi Goldberg". Country Living. Retrieved September 25, 2019.
- "All the times Mary Steenburgen's son Charlie McDowell trolled her by pretending actress Andie MacDowell was his mother". Celebrity. October 8, 2020. Retrieved October 11, 2020.
- "Rooney Mara Is Dating Charlie McDowell". People Magazine. Retrieved December 4, 2020.
- "Here's What Ya Need to Know About Emilia Clarke's Post-Breakup Dating Life". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved December 4, 2020.
- "Lily Collins Is Engaged to Charlie McDowell: See Her Unique Diamond Ring". People. Retrieved September 7, 2021.
- "Lily Collins and Charlie McDowell Are Married: 'We Officially Became Each Other's Forever'". People. Retrieved September 7, 2021.
- Megan Gibson (March 28, 2011). "Charlie McDowell". Time. Retrieved January 16, 2016.
- "Dear Girls Above Me [review]". Publishers Weekly. July 1, 2013.
- Bielski, Zosia (June 27, 2013). "'Forced to listen' to the girls upstairs, Charlie McDowell took to Twitter". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved January 16, 2016.
- "Sundance 2014: You're not supposed to know anything about 'The One I Love'". Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (January 23, 2014). "Sundance: Radius-TWC Acquires 'The One I Love'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (July 19, 2014). "Hot Trailer: Elisabeth Moss & Mark Duplass Get Trippy In 'The One I Love'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 13, 2015). "Charlie McDowell To Direct HBO's Sarah Silverman Pilot, Jeremy Garelick To Helm Fox's 'Detour'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- Dave McNary (October 27, 2015). "Nicholas Hoult, Rooney Mara Starring in Romance 'The Discovery'". Variety. Retrieved January 16, 2016.
- Busch, Anita (March 9, 2016). "Robert Redford & Jason Segel Join Rooney Mara In 'The Discovery'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- Jafaar, Ali (June 13, 2016). "Netflix Acquires The World On 'The Discovery' With Rooney Mara, Robert Redford And Jason Segel". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 16, 2016.
- Swinson, Brock (March 30, 2017). "The Discovery: A Big Premise Character Piece". Creative Screenwriting. Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- Sneider, Jeff (May 20, 2019). "Jake Gyllenhaal, Conde Nast Team to Produce True-Crime Movie 'Gilded Rage'". Collider. Retrieved June 10, 2020.
- Charlie McDowell at IMDb
- Dear Girls Above Me (Google Books)
- Rosemary Brennan (June 21, 2010). "Love Letters to Charlie McDowell of Dear Girls Above Me". Glamour. Retrieved January 16, 2016.