|No. 25 – Al-Ahli Dubai|
October 22, 1984 |
|Listed height||7 ft 1 in (2.16 m)|
|Listed weight||245 lb (111 kg)|
|NBA draft||2006 / Round: 2 / Pick: 51st overall|
|Selected by the Los Angeles Lakers|
|2007–2008||→ Fort Wayne Mad Ants|
|2008–2009||→ Colorado 14ers|
|2009||Los Angeles Clippers|
|2009||New York Knicks|
In the 2005-06 season, Samb played for WTC Cornellá in the Spanish second division, averaging 9.6 points, 7.7 rebounds and 3.1 blocks, shooting 51.4% from the field and 76.1% from the free-throw line, playing an average of 26 minutes per game in 29 games. He led the league in blocked shots, registering more blocks than the totals of all but one team in the league.
Samb was drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers in the second round (51st pick overall) of the 2006 NBA Draft, but was traded that day to the Detroit Pistons for shooting guard Maurice Evans. After being drafted, he played for the Pistons in the NBA Summer League, averaging 7.2 points, 4.8 rebounds and 1.8 blocks, while shooting 65.2% from the field and 60.0% from the free-throw line. He would be loaned back to the same Spanish outfit for 2006–07.
In his second season with Cornellá, Samb averaged 10.5 points, 7.3 rebounds and 2.9 blocks, while shooting 52% from the field, and 61% from the free-throw line, playing 24 minutes per game in only 19 games, in an injury-plagued season. Joining the Pistons for another Summer League, Samb posted slightly better numbers than in the previous edition, starting in four and playing in all five games. Subsequently, he signed a contract with the Pistons on July 17, 2007.
On November 16, 2007, Samb played his first NBA regular season game: against the Los Angeles Lakers, he had four rebounds, two points and two blocks in just 15 minutes, before being allocated to the NBA Development League, with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants.
On December 14, in his second D-League game, against the Dakota Wizards, Samb took an elbow to his mouth and lost two front teeth. The teeth, knocked out at the root, were subsequently put in a saline solution and he was taken to a dentist to have them reset. He also suffered a probable upper jawbone fracture.
Samb was recalled to the NBA on December 21, switching to the Mad Ants again on January 29, 2008. On February 3, he recorded a triple double with the Ants, with 12 points, 12 rebounds and 11 blocks. On March 22, he was once again recalled to the Pistons.
On November 3, 2008, Samb was traded along with Antonio McDyess and Chauncey Billups to the Denver Nuggets, in exchange for Allen Iverson. He (along with Sonny Weems) was later assigned to the Colorado 14ers, a team associated with the Nuggets in the NBA Development League. On January 5, 2009, the Nuggets traded Samb, along with cash considerations, to the Los Angeles Clippers for a conditional second-round draft pick.
On February 16, 2009, Samb was waived by the Clippers. On March 2, he signed a 10-day contract with the New York Knicks. After this expired on March 12, 2009, the Knicks signed him to a second 10-day contract and, on March 23, released the player, who made appeared in 2 games with them.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- Pistons Sign Center Cheick Samb
- Pistons Recall Cheikh Samb from Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Ants lose game, center's front teeth Archived February 29, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.. Posted December 15, 2007
- Pistons Re-Assign Cheikh Samb to NBA Development League Affiliate Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Skyforce Down Ants Again for Sixth Straight Win
- Pistons acquire Iverson for Billups, McDyess, Samb
- Denver's Sonny Weems and Cheikh Samb Assigned To Colorado 14ers
- "Clippers Acquire Cheikh Samb From Denver Nuggets". NBA.com. Retrieved 2009-01-07.
- "Clippers Acquire Alex Acker From Detroit Pistons". NBA.com. 2009-02-16. Retrieved 2009-02-17.
- Knicks Sign Cheikh Samb To 10-day Contract
- "El Madrid ficha por un mes al gigante senegalés Cheikh Samb". MARCA (in Spanish). Retrieved 2009-09-01.
- "Cheikh Samb Basketball Player Profile". Asia-Basket. Retrieved 2011-01-11.
- Raptors Announce 2010 Las Vegas Summer League Roster
- NBA Development League Draft 2010 NBA.com
- "Cheikh Samb inks in Iran with Mahram". Sportando. Retrieved 2011-01-06.