Chet (Chet Baker album)
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||December 30, 1958, & January 19, 1959|
|Chet Baker chronology|
Chet is an album by jazz trumpeter Chet Baker first released in 1959. The record is sometimes subtitled The Lyrical Trumpet of Chet Baker. Chet features performances by Baker with flautist Herbie Mann, saxophonist Pepper Adams, pianist Bill Evans, guitarist Kenny Burrell, bassist Paul Chambers, and either Connie Kay or Philly Joe Jones on drums. It was recorded in December 1958 and January 1959 and released on the Riverside label.
Though Baker was by the late 1950s known as much for his singing as his trumpet playing, this album is entirely instrumental. It contains 9 ballads (additional bonus track on CD version) played in the styles of Hard Bop to Cool Jazz. The album is entirely devoted to explorations of the ballad mood, it includes considerable variety.
The Allmusic review by Dave Nathan awarded the album 4 stars and states: "Chet is a good album to hear Baker's special way with the horn, and is made even more attractive with the presence and contributions of top jazz artists".
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
- "Alone Together" (Howard Dietz, Arthur Schwartz) - 6:46
- "How High the Moon" (Nancy Hamilton, Morgan Lewis) - 3:31
- "It Never Entered My Mind" (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers) - 4:36
- "'Tis Autumn" (Henry Nemo) - 5:12
- "If You Could See Me Now" (Tadd Dameron, Carl Sigman) - 5:11
- "September Song" (Maxwell Anderson, Kurt Weill) - 3:00
- "You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To" (Cole Porter) - 4:38
- "Time on My Hands (You in My Arms)" (Vincent Youmans, Harold Adamson, Mack Gordon) - 4:27
- "You and the Night and the Music" (Howard Dietz, Arthur Schwartz) - 3:50
- "Early Morning Mood" (Chet Baker) - 9:02 Bonus track on CD
Recorded in New York City on December 30, 1958 (tracks 1-3 & 5-7), and January 19, 1959 (tracks 4 & 8-10).
|A 1||A 2||A 3||A 4||B 1||B 2||B 3||B 4||B 5||LP|
|musician||instrument||T 01||T 02||T 03||T 04||T 05||T 06||T 07||T 08||T 09||T 10||CD|
|Herbie Mann||alto flute||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|Pepper Adams||baritone saxophone||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|Philly Joe Jones||drums||X||X||X||X|