As a surname, Chong may refer to:
- Hakka romanizations of the Chinese surnames Zhang (trad. 張, simp. 张), Zhang (章) and Zhuang (t 莊, s 庄)
- Cantonese and Gan romanizations of the Chinese surnames Zhang (trad. 張, simp. 张) and Zhang (章)
- a variant Minnan romanization of the Chinese surname Zheng (t 鄭, s 郑)
- a Cantonese romanization of the Chinese surnames Zhong (t 鍾, s 钟) and Zhong (崇)
- Cantonese and Gan romanizations of the Chinese surname Zhuang (t 莊, s 庄)
- the McCune romanization of the Korean surname Jeong (정)
Chong is the 19th-most-common surname among Chinese Singaporeans, with 23,100 bearers in the year 2000. There were 10,740 Chongs found by the year 2000 US Census, ranking Chong 2,561st most common overall and 96th most common among Asians and Pacific Islanders. Chong was also listed among the 200-most-common peculiarly Chinese surnames in a 2010 survey of the Registered Persons Database of Canadian health card recipients in the province of Ontario.
List of persons with the surname
- Statistics Singapore. "Popular Chinese Surnames in Singapore".
- US Census Bureau. 2000 US Census. Op. cit. Butler, Rhett. "Most Common Last Names for Asians and Pacific Islanders in the U.S." 2008. Accessed 16 Apr 2012.
- Shah, B. R.; Chiu, M.; Amin, S.; Ramani, M.; Sadry, S.; Tu, J. V. (2010). "Surname lists to identify South Asian and Chinese ethnicity from secondary data in Ontario, Canada: A validation study". BMC Medical Research Methodology. 10: 42. doi:10.1186/1471-2288-10-42. PMC 2877682. PMID 20470433.
|surname Chong. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.This page lists people with the|