Chris Owens (American football)
Owens with the Cleveland Browns
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||December 1, 1986|
|Place of birth:||Los Angeles, California|
|Height:||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight:||180 lb (82 kg)|
|High school:||Los Angeles (CA) Dorsey|
|College:||San Jose State|
|NFL Draft:||2009 / Round: 3 / Pick: 90|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics|
Christopher Todd Dillard Owens (born December 1, 1986) is an American football cornerback who is currently a free agent. Owens was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in the third round of the 2009 NFL Draft. He played college football at San Jose State.
Born in Los Angeles, California, Owens attended Susan Miller Dorsey High School in Los Angeles. Owens, in his senior season, had five interceptions and was named first-team all-league. Owens graduated from Dorsey High in 2004.
|Name||Home town||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Los Angeles, CA||Dorsey HS||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)||175 lb (79 kg)||4.5||Feb 4, 2004|
|Scout: N/A Rivals: 247Sports: N/A|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 111 (school) Rivals: 111 (school)|
Part of Fitz Hill's final recruiting class, Owens attended San Jose State University, the only school that offered him an athletic scholarship. Owens redshirted his freshman year and first played in 2005, under new head coach Dick Tomey. In 11 games played as a freshman, Owens had 35 tackles, 2 interceptions, 6 passes defended, and a forced fumble. As a sophomore in 2006, Owens led San Jose State to the 2006 New Mexico Bowl title and played 13 games (starting all 13) with 50 tackles, 4 interceptions, and 9 passes defended.
As a junior in 2007, Owens was selected All-WAC second-team and led the conference with six interceptions; he also had 75 tackles and 9 passes defended. In his senior season of 2008, Owens had 68 tackles, one interception, 9 passes defended, and 2 forced fumbles.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 10 in||181 lb||4.51 s||1.53 s||2.59 s||4.17 s||6.93 s||34.5 in||9 ft 2 in||14 reps|
|Measurements were taken at the NFL Scouting Combine.|
In the 2009 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons selected Owens in the third round, 90th overall. As a rookie, Owens played 16 games with 6 starts. He had 29 tackles, 2 passes defended, and 2 interceptions.
In 2010, Owens again played in 16 games and had 3 starts. He had 40 tackles, 1 pass defended, and 3 interceptions. In the Falcons' Divisional Round loss to eventual Super Bowl XLV champions Green Bay Packers, Owens had 7 tackles, a pass defended, and a quarterback hit.
In 2011, Owens played 14 games with 2 starts. He had 27 tackles, a sack, 3 passes defended, a quarterback hit, 2 tackles for loss, and 8 special teams tackles.
In 2012, Owens played in 13 games with one start. In the regular season, Owens had 17 tackles, 4 passes defended, one tackle for loss, one forced fumble, and 5 special teams tackles. In the postseason, Owens played in the NFC Championship Game, a 28-24 loss to the San Francisco 49ers. Owens had one tackle, on special teams.
Owens signed with the Cleveland Browns in 2013. He played 12 games with 2 starts and had 51 tackles, 2.5 sacks (for a total loss of 13.5 yards), 3 passes defended, 2 quarterback hits, a tackle for loss, a fumble recovery, a forced fumble, and six special teams tackles. On December 17, the Browns waived Owens.
Kansas City Chiefs
New Orleans Saints
Chris Owens's brother Alvin played for the San Diego Riptide of AF2, and Owens's cousin Bené Benwikere also played cornerback at San Jose State and was drafted in 2014 by the Carolina Panthers.
- "Christopher Owens". San Jose State Spartans. Archived from the original on June 12, 2012.
- "Chris Owens: 2003 Susan Miller Dorsey HS - SR". CollegeFootballNews.com. Scout.com. Retrieved February 14, 2015.
- "Christopher Owens". rivals.com. Yahoo. Retrieved February 14, 2015.
- "Christopher Owens". NFLDraftScout.com. Retrieved February 14, 2015.
- "2009 Combine Player Profiles: Christopher Owens". NFL. Retrieved February 14, 2015.
- "Chris Owens" (PDF). Kansas City Chiefs. Retrieved February 14, 2015.
- Ulrich, Nate (December 17, 2013). "Browns waive CB Chris Owens, WR Armanti Edwards off injured reserve". Ohio.com. Retrieved February 14, 2015.
- Kelly, Omar (December 18, 2013). "Dolphins claim former Browns cornerback Chris Owens". South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved February 14, 2015.
- Twentyman, Tim (May 13, 2015). "Lions sign two veteran players". Detroit Lions. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- "Saints' Chris Owens: Set to sign with Saints - CBSSports.com". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- Person, Joseph (May 22, 2014). "Panthers rookie Benwikere's future turned corner in high school". Charlotte Observer. Retrieved February 14, 2015.