Phyllodactylus marmoratus alexanderi
Christinus alexanderi, also known as Alexander's southern gecko or Alexander's marbled gecko, is a species of Gekkonidae geckos found in the Nullarbor Plain of Australia. It is one of the many species and subspecies regionally termed as marbled geckos.
The superficial appearance of this species is similar to that of Christinus marmoratus, the more widespread marbled gecko, but is distinguished by its scales at the nostril and chin. The marbled pattern of the species also gives a resemblance to the Gehyra variegata, the variegated dtella, which is also found in its distribution range, but this species has claws on all its digits. The contrasted patterns of C. alexanderi is found in a variety of hues. They are frequently found sheltering under rocks.
The males are recorded as sexually active from January to May, but the females do not produce eggs until the spring, September to October. The female is thought to store sperm through this winter period.
The species is one of three in the genus Christinus, placed in the Gekkonidae (gecko) subfamily Gekkoninae, and was first described by Glen Storr in 1987, as Phyllodactylus marmoratus alexanderi, before being elevated to its current status as Christinus alexanderi. The type specimen, a holotype, was collected at Eucla.
- Ellis, R. & Shea, G. 2017. Christinus alexanderi. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2017: e.T102731236A102731328. https://dx.doi.org/10.2305/IUCN.UK.2017-3.RLTS.T102731236A102731328.en. Downloaded on 01 January 2018.
- Browne-Cooper, Robert; Brian Bush; Brad Maryan; David Robinson (2007). Reptiles and Frogs in the Bush: Southwestern Australia. University of Western Australia Press. pp. 108, 109. ISBN 978-1-920694-74-6.
- Greer, A.E. 2006. Encyclopedia of Australian Reptiles. Australian Museum Online http://www.amonline.net.au/herpetology/research/encyclopedia.pdf Version date: 7 August 2006
- Phyllodactylus marmoratus alexanderi Storr, G.M. 1987. The genus Phyllodactylus (Lacertilia: Gekkonidae) in Western Australia. Records of the Western Australian Museum 13(2): 275-284 
- Donnellan, S.C., Aplin, K.P. & Dempsey, P.J. 2000. Genetic and morphological variation in Australian Christinus (Squamata: Gekkonidae): preliminary overview with recognition of a cryptic species on the Nullarbor Plain. Australian Journal of Zoology 48(3): 289-315].
- WAM R281, Eucla, WA [31°43'S 128°53'E].
Data related to Christinus alexanderi at Wikispecies
|This article about a gecko is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|