Christopher Tennant (born August 17, 1978) is an American magazine editor, artist, and author of The Official Filthy Rich Handbook, published by Workman Publishing in June 2008.
Tennant graduated from the University of Wisconsin–Madison in 2000 with degrees in political science and journalism. While at Madison, he served as Editor in Chief of the Badger Herald, America's largest independent daily student newspaper.
The Official Filthy Rich Handbook—a satirical guide to fitting in with America’s “top .0001 percent”—was pitched as a “quasi-sequel” to the best-selling 1980 classic The Official Preppy Handbook, also published by Workman. It was excerpted in the June 2008 issue of Vanity Fair, and received notice for its effusive blurbs by Tom Wolfe, Dominick Dunne, and P. J. O'Rourke, who called it "a paragon of naked wit."
Tennant began his journalism career after graduating college in 2000, when he was hired by Maer Roshan as a personal assistant at New York magazine. In the next decade he followed Roshan to Talk, Radar magazine and Radaronline.com, the independentpop culture magazine and web site that Roshan launched in 2003. He left the magazine in February 2008 as Deputy Editor.
According to the New York Post, Tennant coined the popular portmanteau "celebutard" as a "Page Six" freelancer. This was several years before it became socially unacceptable to use the slang word 'retard' to describe with persons with disabilities.
From 2008 to 2010 he was the Executive Editor of The Daily Front Row, a cheeky fashion glossy distributed at New York Fashion Week. He is currently a contributing editor at Vanity Fair and editor at large of Playboy
- "The Official Filthy Rich Handbook" - 2008 ISBN 0-7611-4703-9 (author)
- Vanity Fair (article archive)
- New York (article archive)
- "The Consiglieri of the Magazine World", Gawker
- Swindle, Jaime (6-25-08): "The Official Filthy Rich Handbook", Seattle Weekly. Retrieved on 11-16-08.
- Hutton, Punch (June 2008): "Fanfair", Vanity Fair, June, 2008. Retrieved on 11-16-08.
- Stadtmiller, Mandy (5-28-08): "The Right Blurb Can Make Sales Superb", New York Post. Retrieved on 11-16-08.
- News & Reviews, The Official Filthy Rich Handbook Archived 2008-10-11 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 11-17-08
- Koblin, John (10-24-08): "Radar Shutting Down (Again.)", New York Observer. Retrieved 11-16-08.
- Media Mob (2-27-08): "Radar's Deputy Editor Chis Tennant is Out" Archived 2008-10-20 at the Wayback Machine, New York Observer. Retrieved on 11-17-08.
- Johnson, Richard (2-4-09): "Happy To Share With Andrea" Archived 2009-04-16 at the Wayback Machine, New York Post. Retrieved on 6-12-09.
- "Spread The Word To End The Word" Retrieved on 5-13-19.
- Smith, Emily (5-26-11): "Aquatic Style", New York Post. Retrieved on 10-19-11.
- Preiser, Amy (6-9-11): "Backstory: Christopher Tennant's Aquatic Cases", "AOL Shelterpop. Retrieved on 10-19-11.