Clarkstown High School South
|Clarkstown High School South|
|School district||Clarkstown Central School District|
|Faculty||104.6 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.6|
|Color(s)||Brown and Gold|
|Newspaper||‘’The Viking Voice‘’|
Clarkstown High School South is a public high school located in West Nyack, New York. The school educates students in grades 9 through 12, and is one of two high schools in the Clarkstown Central School District (CCSD). It is commonly referred to as Clarkstown South, or simply "South."
In 2016, Clarkstown South was ranked in Newsweek's list of the 500 top high schools in the United States, ranking 167th place.
In 2017, Clarkstown South was a part of State Education Commissioner Elia's list of 185 reward schools.
In 2018, Clarkstown South was recognized in the National Rankings and earned a silver medal based on their performance on state-required tests and how well they prepare students for college.
Clarkstown South building consists of a main lobby, large auditorium, gymnasium (including a wrestling room and a fitness center), music wing, planetarium, two lunchrooms, and three floors of classrooms. The school is also known for having televisions in the hallway. In the fall of 2005, a planetarium was built in the rear of the building. A greenhouse was also constructed in 2006. South offers many music ensembles, including chorus, orchestra, concert band, and marching band.
The Vikings are also known for their success in many of their school groups. Clarkstown South takes pride in Junior Statesmen of America, DECA, National History Day, United Service Organization/Veterans Affairs Club, Mock Trial Team 2016 Westchester/Rockland County Champions, VAASA (Varsity Athletes Against Substance Abuse), and Mu Alpha Theta chapter because of the many awards they bring home to their school.
School Activities and Clubs
Clarkstown South offers a variety of activities and clubs for the students to enjoy. The clubs at South cater to all kinds of students, whether their interests are art, music, math, science, etc. Some of the clubs they have are the Mural Club, South Beat, TV Club, ASMA, World Language Club, and more.
- Jake Austin Szymanski (Jake T. Austin) - actor
- Raffi Krikorian CTO Democratic National Committee
- Joseph Lin First Violinist, Juliard String Quartet
- Patrick Kivlehan (born 1989), baseball outfielder
- Corey Baker (born 1989), baseball pitcher
- Frank Grillo, Actor (1981)
- Ryan Grant, NFL running back
- Justin Richardson (class of 1981), psychiatrist and book author
- Mat Devine (Born 1974), Lead Singer Of Kill Hannah, Actor, Author
- High Schools Archived 2008-03-26 at the Wayback Machine. Clarkstown Central School District. Retrieved on 2014-02-14.
- "Clarkstown South Senior High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "CLARKSTOWN SOUTH SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL ENROLLMENT (2015 - 16)". data.nysed.gov. New York State Education Department. Retrieved October 12, 2017.
- Newsweek: 2013 America's Best High Schools
- "State Education Commissioner Elia Identifies 185 Reward Schools". NYSED. New York State Education Department. Retrieved October 12, 2017.
- Best High School - US NEWS
- http://ccsd.edu/popup_info.cfm?story=900[permanent dead link]
- Traum, Robin. "Longtime Summer Theater Program Takes Hiatus to Reorganize". Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- Littman, Adam. "New Teen Summer Theater Group Opens Registration". Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- "CHSS School Activities and Clubs". CHSS. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- Bumiller, Elisabeth (13 June 1997). "Same-Sex Academies Grapple With Parents' Concerns". NY Times. Retrieved 25 December 2014.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)