|Member of the European Parliament|
1 July 2009 – 19 June 2018
|Born||26 November 1960|
Claude Turmes (born 26 November 1960) is a Luxembourgish politician who served as a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) from 2009 until 2018. He is a member of the Green Party, part of the European Green Party.
Turmes was elected as a member of the European Parliament in the 1999 European elections. In parliament, he first served on the Committee on Budgetary Control before joining the Committee on Industry, Research and Energy in 2002. In this capacity, he served as rapporteur on the 2008 draft of the EU Renewable Energy Directive 2009/28/EC and on the EU Energy Efficiency Directive 2012. Between 2007 and 2008, he was a member of the Temporary Committee on Climate Change. He also represented the Parliament at the 2008 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Poznań, and the 2016 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Marrakesh.
In 2011, Turmes was part of a cross-party working group headed by Jerzy Buzek, the President of the European Parliament, to draft reforms on lobbying and MEPs’ rules of conduct. In addition to his committee assignments, Turmes was a member of the European Parliament Intergroup on LGBT Rights and of the European Parliament Intergroup on the Welfare and Conservation of Animals.
He became Secretary of State for Sustainable Development and Infrastructures for the Luxembourg government in June 2018, and was appointed Minister for Energy and Minister for Spatial Planning on 5 December 2018.
- Energy Watch Group (EWG), Member
- European Forum for Renewable Energy Sources (EUFORES), President
- Agora Energiewende, Member of the Council
- Jennifer Rankin (30 January 2008), Turmes to draft the Parliament’s renewables position European Voice.
- Green jobs initiative European Voice, 13 July 2011.
- Jennifer Rankin (26 November 2008), MEPs flock to Poznań meeting European Voice.
- MEPs to participate in COP22 climate change conference in Marrakesh European Parliament, press release of 11 November 2016.
- Constant Brand (13 April 2011), Cross-party group to draft reforms for lobbying rules European Voice.
- Members Archived 27 March 2019 at the Wayback Machine European Parliament Intergroup on LGBTI Rights.
- Members European Parliament Intergroup on the Welfare and Conservation of Animals.
- "Biography: Claude Turmes". gouvernement.lu. 12 June 2012. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
- Experts Energy Watch Group (EWG)
- Council Agora Energiewende
- Official website Archived 22 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- Personal profile of Claude Turmes in the European Parliament's database of members