Coleopterology (from Coleoptera, see above, and Greek -λογία, -logia) is a branch of entomology, the scientific study of beetles of the order Coleoptera). Practitioners are termed coleopterists. Coleopterists have formed organizations to facilitate the study of beetles. Among these is The Coleopterists Society, an international organization based in the United States. Such organizations may have both professionals and amateurs as members, interested in beetles. When speaking informally, coleopterists sometimes refer to their study as "beetling".
Research in this field is often published in peer-reviewed journals specific to the field of coleopterology, though journals dealing with general entomology also publish many papers on various aspects of beetle biology. Some of the journals specific to beetle research are:
- The Coleopterist (United Kingdom beetle fauna)
- The Coleopterists Bulletin (published by The Coleopterists Society)
- Elytron (published by the European Association of Coleopterology)
- J. Cooter & M. V. L. Barclay, ed. (2006). A Coleopterist's Handbook. Amateur Entomological Society. ISBN 0-900054-70-0.
- E. Reitter, ed. (1908–1917). Fauna Germanica. The beetles of the German Reich..
- A. Horion, ed. (1941–1974). faunistics the Central European beetles.
- H. Joy; KW Harde; GA Lohse, eds. (1964–1983). The beetles of Central Europe Goecke & Evers, Krefeld. ISBN 3-334-61035-7..
- KW Harde, F. Severa: The Cosmos Beetle leader Franckh, Stuttgart, 1981. ISBN 3-440-04881-0 .
- Wolfgang Willner: Pocket Dictionary of beetles of Central Europe Source & Meier, Wiebelsheim 2013. ISBN 978-3-494-01451-7 .
- The Coleopterist – includes a biographical dictionary of British coleopterists
- Scarab Workers World Directory
- German Coleopterists
- ZinRu Gouillard J. 2004. Histoire des entomologistes français (1750–1950). Édition entièrement revue et augmentée. Paris, Société Nouvelle des Éditions Boubée. 288 pp.
- High definition portraits from Russia
|This beetle-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|