Comité International des Sports des Sourds
International Committee of Sports for the Deaf
|Legal status||501(c)(3) nonprofit organization|
|Headquarters||Frederick, Maryland, United States of America|
Comité International des Sports des Sourds (CISS) is the apex body organizing international sports events for the deaf, particularly the Deaflympics (previously called World Games for the Deaf). It is also called the International Committee of Sports for the Deaf.
The organization was founded in Paris by Eugène Rubens-Alcais, who organized the first "International Silent Games" in 1924. Alcais was himself deaf and was the president of the French Deaf Sports Federation.
CISS, now also called ICSD, is headquartered in Maryland, USA.
The first Summer Games were held in Paris in 1924, it started with 148 athletes from 9 countries (France, Belgium, Great Britain, Holland, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Romania and Czechoslovakia). And the first Winter Games were instituted in 1949 at Seefeld, Austria, it attracted 33 athletes from 5 countries.
In 1935, Japan joins CISS as the first Asian member and the United States as first North American member. Australia and New Zealand joined later in 1955 as first Oceania members. The first African member were South Africa, in 1975.
The Deaflympics (previously called World Games for the Deaf, and International Games for the Deaf) are an International Olympic Committee (IOC)-sanctioned event at which deaf athletes compete at an elite level.
World Deaf Championships
European Deaf Championships
On July, 25th 2013, Valery Nikititch Rukhledev become the ninth president of ICSD :
- 1924-1953: France Eugène Rubens-Alcais
- 1953-1955: Sweden Oscar Ryden
- 1955-1961: Denmark Jens Peter Nielsen
- 1961-1971: France Pierre Bernhard
- 1971-1995: USA Jerald M. Jordan
- 1995-2003: Australia John M. Lovett
- 2003-2009: USA Donalda Ammons Kay
- 2009-2013: United Kingdom Craig A. Crowley
- 2013-2018: Russia Dr Valery Nikititch Rukhledev
- 2018-present: Australia Rebecca Adam
- "About the ICSD". International Committee of Sports for the Deaf. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "Form 990: Return of Organization Exempt from Income Taxes". Comité International des Sports des Sourds Inc. Guidestar. 31 December 2012.
- "Comité International des Sports des Sourds Inc". Exempt Organizations Select Check. Internal Revenue Service. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "Executive Board". International Committee of Sports for the Deaf. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "CISS.org - ICSD". www.ciss.org.