Cosmo Newbery (Yilka)
|Population||74 (2011 census)|
|Elevation||507 m (1,663 ft)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Laverton|
Cosmo Newbery (also spelt Cosmo Newberry, also known as Yilka) is a small Aboriginal community in Western Australia, 1,036 kilometres (644 mi) east of Perth between Laverton and Warburton in the Goldfields-Esperance region of Western Australia. In the 2011 census, Cosmo Newbery had a total population of 74, including 64 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
The area was originally leased by two returned soldiers as a cattle station, then as a penal colony for a short time, then later became a government ration depot. The town was first settled in 1920. By 1953 the Uniting Church set up a mission but eventually, in 1976, gave the land back to the Aboriginal people living in the area at that time. The town operated for 11 years and was then abandoned for 4 years. In 1989 four families moved back into the town, quickly followed by others. The town now has a health clinic, school, a hall, windmills, communication centre, fuel station and shop.
The town is one of the stops along the Great Central Road that tracks through the Great Victoria Desert and eventually connects with the Gunbarrel Highway; there is a roadhouse operating in the town.
The community is managed through its incorporated body, Cosmo Newberry Aboriginal Corporation, incorporated under the Aboriginal Councils and Associations Act 1976 on 31 January 1991.
Cosmo Newberry Layout Plan No.1 has been prepared in accordance with State Planning Policy 3.2 Aboriginal Settlements. Layout Plan No. 1 was endorsed by the community on 19 May 2000 and by the Western Australian Planning Commission on 21 August 2001.
The Layout Plan map-set and background report can be viewed at Planning Western Australia's web site.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Cosmo Newbery (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 5 March 2017.
- 2011 Census QuickStats – Cosmo Newberry
- "About Cosmo Newberry". 2012. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Australian Dictionary of BiographyCosmo Newberry". 2010. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- "ExplorOz Cosmo Newberry". 2010. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- "NRMA Great Central Road". 2010. Archived from the original on 25 November 2010. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- Register of Native Title Claim Details – Yilka
- Documents for Cosmo Newberry Aboriginal Corporation
- Cosmo Newberry LP1 Amendment 2 Layout Plan Background Report
- Planning Western Australia's official site – Cosmo Newberry Layout Plan (https://www.dplh.wa.gov.au/information-and-services/state-planning/aboriginal-communities/aboriginal-community-maps/layout-plans)