Barry 'Bar-Mon' Hill
Cover Drive are a four-piece band from Barbados consisting of Amanda Reifer, T-Ray Armstrong, Barry "Bar-Man" Hill and Jamar Harding. They have gained commercial success in the United Kingdom. They are best known as featuring artist in Far East Movement's hit single "Turn Up the Love".
The band was signed by record label Global Talent, a division of Polydor Records. The band obtained one of its major breaks by performing as an opening act during Rihanna's Loud Tour. The band were featured in upcoming promotions by the Barbados Tourism Authority, an international tourist-marketing agency of the Barbados government. The group released their debut album Bajan Style on 7 May 2012 in the United Kingdom, peaking at number 14. "Lovesick Riddim" was announced as their lead single from their EP, Liming In Limbo on 13 December 2013. The group's second album Fall Forward was finally released on 10 April 2017.
The band formed in their native country Barbados. The band consists of four members: Amanda, the lead singer; T-Ray, the drum/backing vocals; Barry "Bar Man" Hill, the keyboardist/guitarist; and Jamar, the bassist. Amanda met T-Ray when she became his babysitter despite being only two years older, T-Ray was in the same year as Jamar at school although they did not attend the same school, and Amanda met Bar-Man at college because they were in the same year.
2011–2012: Commercial success and Bajan Style
Cover Drive gained a lot of subscribers on YouTube with videos of them covering popular songs. In April 2011, the band signed a publishing deal with Sony and a recording deal with Polydor Records. After the band was signed they began writing and recording material for their debut album. Whilst in the studio, they met American producer J. R. Rotem who produced their debut single, "Lick Ya Down", which was released on 28 August 2011. After receiving heavy airplay and support on both the Radio and Music channels in the United Kingdom, the song debuted and peaked at number 9 on the UK Singles Chart and number 3 on the UK R&B Singles Chart.
They later released their second single "Twilight" on 22 January 2012, which was their first single to chart in Ireland, debuting at number 40. The song peaked at number 1 on the UK iTunes chart within hours of its release. The song was produced by Quiz & Larossi. On 29 January 2012, "Twilight" debuted at number 1 on the charts in the United Kingdom for the week ending 4 February 2012. On 8 March 2012, they announced "Sparks" as the third single from the album. Sparks was released on 29 April and debuted and peaked at number 4 on the UK Singles Chart. Their debut album, Bajan Style, was released on 7 May 2012 and debuted on the UK Album Chart at number 14. The fourth release from Bajan Style, "Explode" was re-worked with vocals from former N-Dubz member, Dappy, and was released from the album on 26 August 2012, entering at number 29 on the UK Singles Chart.
The group also featured on Far East Movement's "Turn Up the Love", which was released on 21 June 2012. It peaked at number 13 on the UK Singles Chart. They toured with Kelly Clarkson on the UK & Ireland leg of her Stronger Tour.
2013–present: Upcoming second studio album
A lyric video for their lead single off of their EP, called "Lovesick Riddim", was uploaded to the band's official YouTube channel on 7 August 2013. The music video was uploaded to YouTube on 10 August 2013. An EP, titled "Liming In Limbo", is due for release. The EP is a taster of what is to come on their upcoming album. The EP was released 13 December 2013.
Cover Drive released a song for Crop Over 2014 called "Dis Ain't Love". A lyric/music video was released via their YouTube account on 6 June 2014. Cover Drive also announced in June 2014 that they were recording the music video for the lead single off of their upcoming second single. It was later announced to be called "Love Junkie". A lyric video was uploaded on their YouTube account on 3 June. The music was uploaded on to Vevo on 27 June. The song is set for release on 27 July (UK/Europe) and 29 July (rest of world).
- Karen Amanda Reifer – lead vocals (born 17 March 1991)
- Barry Hill – guitars/keytars (born 25 December 1988)
- Jamar Harding – bass guitar (born 31 May 1993)
- Thomas Ray Armstrong (T-Ray) – drums, percussion, backing vocals (born 9 August 1993)
- Bajan Style (2012)
- Fall Forward (2017)
- Liming In Limbo (2013)
- Ramsay, Allison (7 August 2012). "Rihanna LOUD tour rocks Kensington". The Barbados Advocate. Advocate Co. Ltd. Archived from the original on 2 January 2014. Retrieved 6 February 2012.
- Natanga Smith Hurdle (3 February 2012). "Cover this!". nationnews.com.
- Staff writer (19 August 2011). "Rihanna helps another Barbados band, Cover Drive". Associate Press. Yahoo News. Archived from the original on 2014-01-02. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- Staff writer. "Cover Drive to open show". Barbados Today.
- "BTA – local group Cover Drive". cbc.bb. 8 March 2012. Archived from the original on 11 March 2012.
- Maurice Giles (9 March 2012). "Cover Drive back home". nationnews.com.
- "Cover Drive Return With New Video 'Lovesick Riddim' - @InspireLS - #LiveWell The No.1 Destination for all things #LIFESTYLE". Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "Cover Drive scores a high note". networkbarbados.com. 30 January 2012.
- "Cover Drive – The Big Interview". Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- Ricky Jordan (31 January 2012). "Top score". nationnews.com.
- "CoverDrive looking to score big with new record deal". Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- "Chart Archive >Irish Singles > Week 04 2012". IRMA.
- "Cover Drive debut new single 'Sparks' - listen". Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- "Keane land fifth consecutive No.1 album with 'Strangeland'". Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- "Cover Drive Unveil 'Explode' Video Featuring Dappy - Watch Now". Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "Cover Drive - All My Love (Official Lyric Video)". YouTube. 2013-02-14. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- "Band Moves Back Home to Barbados". hgtv.com. Archived from the original on 8 May 2013. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "Cover Drive - Lovesick Riddim". YouTube. 2013-08-10. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- "INTERVIEW: Cover Drive's Amanda Talks New Single 'Love Riddim,' Touring With Rihanna and More". WeAreCoverDrive. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "Cover Drive on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "Cover Drive - Love Junkie". YouTube. 27 June 2014. Retrieved 9 March 2015.