December 6, 1971 |
|Occupation||Film director, producer screenwriter|
Craig Brewer (born December 6, 1971) is an American film director, producer, and screenwriter. His 2005 movie Hustle & Flow won the Audience Award at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival and achieved commercial success, along with an Academy Award for Best Original Song, "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp".
Life and career
Hustle & Flow was financed by filmmaker John Singleton, also produced by Stephanie Allain, Preston Holmes and executive produced by Dwight Williams. Singleton was impressed by Brewer's first feature, The Poor & Hungry, shot in Memphis, Tennessee. Ten years after the release of Hustle & Flow, Brewer will be reteaming with Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henson on their acclaimed television series, Empire. The episode he directed, "Fires of Heaven", aired October 7, 2015.
Brewer's subsequent project, Black Snake Moan, began filming in September 2005 and stars Samuel L. Jackson, Christina Ricci, and Justin Timberlake. Black Snake Moan was partially filmed in Stanton, Tennessee. Production completed on Black Snake Moan in October 2005 and it was released on March 2, 2007. His first big-budget film, a remake of the 1984 film, Footloose was released on October 14, 2011 after Brewer and the two stars of the film, Kenny Wormald and Julianne Hough, completed a national press tour promoting the film. The film received higher critical praise than its predecessor.
In 2012, Brewer was executive producer of Katy Perry: Part of Me. That same year, Brewer premiered a documentary he directed about Indie Memphis and filmmakers called Indie Origins. In 2014, Brewer was elected President of Indie Memphis for two years. A year later, Brewer released a video made in conjunction with the Memphis Grizzlies on the city's adoration of player Marc Gasol; Brewer himself makes a brief appearance at the beginning of the video.
Brewer is also the creator of $5 Cover, an MTV drama series about Memphis musicians. The 15-episode show was broadcast online and on MTV, and featured Memphis musicians playing themselves and their original songs. Other TV projects include an episode of The Shield and the pilot to Terriers. Brewer returned to directing TV pilots with Boomerang, starring Felicity Huffman on FOX. The pilot was not picked up by FOX. In January 2014, Brewer signed a deal with Paramount Television to executive produce, write and direct two TV drama pilots. In late May 2015, one of these shows was revealed to be a television adaptation of the film Urban Cowboy; Brewer will write the pilot and direct. The pilot was not picked up by FOX.
In late February 2013, Brewer's theatrical follow-up to Footloose was announced as Gangster Princess of Beverly Hills, based on the true-life crime escapades of Lisette Lee, a young woman who claimed to be the heiress of Samsung. Brewer will write and direct. A year later, Brewer was also attached to potentially direct a new version of The Idolmaker, with Justin Timberlake producing.
- The Poor & Hungry (2000) (writer/producer/director)
- Hustle & Flow (2005) (writer/director)
- Black Snake Moan (2007) (writer/director)
- The Shield ("Petty Cash") (TV series) (2008) (director)
- $5 Cover (web series for MTV) (2009) (creator/director)
- Terriers ("Pilot") (TV series) (2010) (director)
- Footloose (2011) (co-writer/director)
- Katy Perry: Part of Me (2012) (producer)
- Indie Origins (2012) (director)
- Empire ("Fires of Heaven") (TV series) (2015) (director)
- The Legend of Tarzan (2016) (writer)
- Urban Cowboy ("Pilot") (TV series) (did not go to series) (writer/director)
- Boomerang ("Pilot") (TV series) (did not go to series) (director)
- Gangster Princess of Beverly Hills (TBA) (writer/director)
- The Idolmaker (TBA) (writer/director)
- John Beifuss. "Craig Brewer to direct 'Empire' episode". The Commercial Appeal.
- John Beifuss. "Craig Brewer-directed episode of 'Empire' to air Wednesday". The Commercial Appeal.
- Access Hollywood. "'Footloose' Stars Julianne Hough & Kenny Wormald on How Their 'DWTS' Performance Happened". NBC Universal.
- Leonardo Torres. "Katy Perry vai lançar seu show em 3D nos cinemas". MTV.
- Nancy B. Allen. "Craig Brewer – Indie Origins". WREG.
- John Beifuss. "Craig Brewer named new president of Indie board; screening committee members sought". The Commercial Appeal.
- "Marc Gasol of Memphis". Memphis Grizzlies.
- James Hibberd. "Felicity Huffman cast as housewife assassin in TV pilot". Entertainment Weekly.
- Damon Houx. "1 - 1 Interview: Craig Brewer on 'The Poor and Hungry'". ScreenCrave.
- Nellie Andreeva. "Paramount TV Inks Two-Project Deal With Craig Brewer". Deadline Hollywood.
- Nellie Andreeva. "'Urban Cowboy' Drama Series In Development At Fox". Deadline Hollywood.
- Nellie Andreeva. "'Urban Cowboy' Pilot Not Going Forward At Fox". Deadline Hollywood.
- Zack Parks. "David Yates Officially Directing TARZAN". GeekTyrant.
- Kevin Jagernauth. "'Hustle & Flow' Director Craig Brewer Is Gonna Roll With 'Gangster Princess of Beverly Hills'". Indiewire.
- Dave McNary. "Craig Brewer to Direct 'The Idolmaker' for MGM, Justin Timberlake (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety.
- Mike Fleming Jr., MGM Sets Sascha Penn To Script ‘The Idolmaker’ Remake, Deadline New York