Creola, Louisiana

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Creola, Louisiana
Village
Country United States
State Louisiana
Parish Grant
Elevation 194 ft (59.1 m)
Coordinates 31°25′43″N 92°28′53″W / 31.42861°N 92.48139°W / 31.42861; -92.48139Coordinates: 31°25′43″N 92°28′53″W / 31.42861°N 92.48139°W / 31.42861; -92.48139
Area 0.42 sq mi (1.1 km2)
 - land 0.41 sq mi (1 km2)
 - water 0.01 sq mi (0 km2), 2.38%
Population 213 (2010)
Density 522.25/sq mi (201.6/km2)
Incorporated 2002
Timezone CST (UTC-6)
 - summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5)
ZIP code 71423
Area code 318
Location of Creola in Louisiana
Map of USA LA.svg
Location of Louisiana in the United States

Creola is an incorporated village[1] in Grant Parish, Louisiana, United States. It was incorporated on January 23, 2002, under the provisions of the Lawrason Act.[2] An incorporation election was held in October 2000 with 36 people (97.3%) voting in favor of the measure and 1 (2.7%) voting against.[3] As of the 2010 census, Creola had a population of 213.[4]

Creola is located in the southern portion of Grant Parish and is part of the Alexandria Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Education[edit]

Creola residents are zoned to Grant Parish School Board schools.

Economy[edit]

Jena Choctaw Pines Casino

Jena Choctaw Pines Casino[edit]

The Jena Choctaw Pines Casino opened on February 13, 2013. The casino, owned by the Jena Band of Choctaw Indians, sits on over 200 acres (81 ha) of land, 40 acres (16 ha) of which within Creola were donated by local businessman Mike Wahlder[5] to develop the casino. It will be a Class II casino under Indian Gaming laws. It is the first phase of the casino project that features 46,000 square feet (4,300 m2) of gaming space containing 700 slots and a poker room, and also featuring a sport bar and a buffet. The revenue collected from the casino will help the Jena Band of Choctaws fulfill unmet needs for housing, education, and health care. This will be the third casino in the central Louisiana area.

According to the casino's general manager, John Neumann, future expansion of the casino was expected within at least six months. The next phase of the project was to include expanding the gaming area and restaurant nearly doubling the space, meeting spaces to the main building, and a hotel. The overall master plan is to also include a RV park, an entertainment venue, and a strip mall.[6]

Geography[edit]

Creola is located along the southern border of Grant Parish, adjacent to Rapides to the south. U.S. Route 167 runs through the village, leading south 11 miles (18 km) to Alexandria and north 37 miles (60 km) to Winnfield. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.42 square miles (1.1 km2), of which 0.01 square miles (0.02 km2), or 1.90%, is water.[4]

Demographics[edit]

Historical population
Census Pop.
2010 213
Est. 2015 209 [7] −1.9%
Creola Census

As of 2010, the population of Creola was 213 with 80 households which 65% are owned, 30% are rented, and 5% are unoccupied. The median household income is $44,499. 62% of the population are married couples with 44% of them have children. Males make up 48% of the total population while females make up the other 52%.[8]

References[edit]

  1. ^ "Boundary Changes". Geographic Change Notes: Louisiana. Population Division, United States Census Bureau. 2006-05-19. Archived from the original on 2010-08-06. Retrieved 2008-09-08. 
  2. ^ "Village of Creola" (PDF). Retrieved 2013-03-08. 
  3. ^ Creola trivia – The Town Talk.
  4. ^ a b "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Creola village, Louisiana". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved December 15, 2016. 
  5. ^ "Construction to start on new Choctaw casino". Associated Press. Retrieved 2013-02-13. 
  6. ^ "Jena Choctaw Pines Casino in Grant Parish has 'big plans' for growth". The Town Talk. 2013-02-13. Retrieved 2013-02-13. 
  7. ^ "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016. 
  8. ^ "Creola Overview". Retrieved 2013-03-08. 

External links[edit]