Cupressus bakeri, reclassified as Hesperocyparis bakeri, with the common names Baker cypress, Modoc cypress, or Siskiyou cypress, is a rare species of cypress tree endemic to a small area across far northern California and extreme southwestern Oregon, in the western United States.
It is usually found in small, scattered populations, not in large forests, at altitudes of 900–2,000 metres (3,000–6,600 ft). This includes locales in the Modoc Plateau, southern Cascade Range, Klamath Mountains, and northern Sierra Nevada. It is slow-growing in the wild, and is mostly restricted to sites difficult for plant growth, on serpentine soils and on old lava flows. Its tolerance of these sites enables it to avoid competition from much faster-growing trees. It is found in chaparral and Yellow pine forest habitats.
Cupressus bakeri−Hesperocyparis bakeri is an evergreen tree with a conic crown, growing to heights of 10–25 metres (33–82 ft) (exceptionally to 39 meters−130 feet), and a trunk diameter of up to 50 cm (20 inches) (exceptionally to 1 meter—40 inches).
The foliage grows in sparse, very fragrant, usually pendulous sprays, varying from dull gray-green to glaucous blue-green in color. The leaves are scale-like, 2–5 mm long, and produced on rounded (not flattened) shoots.
The seed cones are globose to oblong, covered in warty resin glands, 10–25 mm long, with 6 or 8 (rarely 4 or 10) scales, green to brown at first, maturing gray or gray-brown about 20–24 months after pollination. The male cones are 3–5 mm long, and release pollen in February–March.
- Fire ecology
- Flora of the Klamath Mountains
- List of plants on the Modoc National Forest
- Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest
- Farjon, A. (2013). "Cupressus bakeri". The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN. 2013: e.T34047A2841226. doi:10.2305/IUCN.UK.2013-1.RLTS.T34047A2841226.en. Retrieved 9 November 2017.
- USDA: Hesperocyparis bakeri . accessed 8.28.2015.
- The Plant List, Cupressus bakeri Jeps.
- Jepson eFlora (JM2): Hesperocyparis bakeri[permanent dead link] . accessed 8.28.2015.
- CalFlora Database: Hesperocyparis bakeri . accessed 8.28.2015.
- United States Department of Agriculture plants profile
- Jepson Manual, University of California
- Pinetum Photos, trees
- Pinetum Photos, cones
- Conifer Specialist Group (2000). "Cupressus bakeri". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2006. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 5 May 2006. - Listed as Vulnerable (VU B1+2bcd v2.3)
- CalFlora Database: Hesperocyparis bakeri (Baker's cypress)
- Jepson Manual eFlora (JM2) treatment of Hesperocyparis bakeri[permanent dead link]
- USDA Plants Profile for Hesperocyparis bakeri (Modoc cypress)
- Gymnosperm Database: Cupressus bakeri
- photo of herbarium specimen at Missouri Botanical Garden, collected in 1934 in Siskiyou County, California
- UC Calphotos Photos Gallery: Hesperocyparis bakeri
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cupressus bakeri|