DJ Clazzi in a 2011 interview
|Birth name||Kim Sung-hoon|
|Also known as||DJ Clazzi|
|Born||15 November 1974|
|Genres||Electronica, pop, house|
|Occupation(s)||Composer, lyricist, DJ, producer|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Seong-hun|
|Revised Romanization||DJ Keurraeji|
DJ Clazzi (born Kim Sung-hoon; 15 November 1974), also known simply as Clazzi, is a South Korean electronica musician. He is the leader of Clazziquai, a South Korean band that was formed in 2001 and debuted in 2004 with the album Instant Pig. In January 2012, he made his solo debut with Infant, an album that includes collaborations with a number of artists, including Seulong of 2AM and members of Sunny Hill.
Debut with Clazziquai (2001–2010)
DJ Clazzi formed the group Clazziquai with singers Alex and Horan in 2001. They began releasing music on the Internet that resulted in the release of their first studio album Instant Pig, which appeared on 14 May 2004 by the label Seoul Record (now LOEN Entertainment) in South Korea. It was also released later that year in Japan by Avex Trax, and in Taiwan under Avex Taiwan.
The group released their second album Color Your Soul on 22 September 2005, and a third titled Love Child of the Century on 7 June 2007. Their most recent studio album is Mucho Punk, released on 14 July 2009. Between studio albums, the group has also released a number of remix albums.
Solo debut (2011–present)
In 2011, DJ Clazzi began collaborating with various South Korean artists. He first collaborated with 2AM singer Seulong, who provided the vocals for the single "How We Feel." Shortly after that, he released the single "Love & Hate," a collaboration with Yi Sung Yol and rapper MYK.
DJ Clazzi initially planned on releasing his debut solo album in December 2011. On 17 January 2012, he released the full-length album Infant through the label LOEN Entertainment. Although all of the songs on the album have vocals, all of them are from other artists. Along with Seulong, Yi Sung-yol, and MYK, the album also features singers Whale of the group W&Whale, Jinsil, Hyun-song and Su-ryun of The Koxx, Christina, Kim Wan-sung, Jang Woo-hyuk and Cho Hyun-a of Urban Zakapa and Kota and Jubi of Sunny Hill.
Clazziquai released their studio album Blessed on 5 February 2013.
Clazzi's music typically incorporates elements of electronic music, as in this song from his album Infant.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
DJ Clazzi's music is described in general as electronica or electronic music. When asked to define his music genre in an interview, he stated, "I, as a maker of this music, find it hard to tell which genre it is," and that "it should be for the listener to decide."
|Title||Album details||Peak chart
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"How We Feel" (우리 변한거잖아)
with Seulong of 2AM
|"Love & Hate"
feat. Yi Sung Yol
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart.|
|2006||"Orange Sunshine"||Asami Izawa|
|"Battlefield Of Love"|
|2009||R.P.G Prime||W & Whale|
- "DJ 클래지 프로필" (in Korean). Naver.
- "Clazziquai Project Profile" (in Korean). Fluxus.
- Vitalsign (20 December 2011). "DJ Clazzi collaborates with Sunny Hill and MYK for "Sexy Doll"". Allkpop. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- 정지희 (16 January 2012). "DJ클래지 솔로앨범 발매…이승열·임슬옹·칵스 등과 콜라보". AsiaToday.co.kr. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- "클래지콰이 (Clazziquai)". MTV. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- Claudia Ho (30 January 2010). "House + Jazz + Electronica = A Clazzi Combination". Schema Magazine. Archived from the original on 12 November 2012. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- "Clazziquai Project Bio". Clazziquai.co.kr. Archived from the original on 24 September 2009. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- "Clazziquai – Overseas Albums". Clazziquai.co.kr. Archived from the original on 30 September 2009. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- "Clazziquai – Regular Albums". Clazziquai.co.kr. Archived from the original on 19 July 2009. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- Chloejn (23 November 2011). "DJ Clazzi reveals "How We Feel" MV starring 2AM’s Seulong". Allkpop. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- Leesa (16 January 2012). "DJ Clazzi reveals Short MV for "Love&Hate" featuring MYK". Allkpop. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- "Interview with Clazzi". Eat Your Kimchi. 22 December 2011. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- Jung Bae (12 February 2012). "Album Review: Clazzi – Infant". Hellokpop. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- Jung Bae (11 February 2013). "Album Review Clazziquai Blessed". HelloKpop. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- "Gaon Album Chart".
- "Gaon Digital Chart".