Dani Menkin, 2011
June 22, 1970 |
Tel Aviv, Israel
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, producer|
Dani Menkin (Hebrew : דני מנקין, born June 22, 1970) is an Israeli, Academy Award, filmmaker director, screenwriter and film producer.
Menkin's professional career began in 1994, when he joined the Israeli Sports Channel (Sport5) as a reporter.
In 2001, Menkin worked in a series for National Geographic Society.
Dani Menkin is an Israeli Academy Award Winning filmmaker for "39 POUNDS OF LOVE"(2005). The film, written, produced and directed by him, has been sold to HBO, and was short listed for the Oscars.
His latest feature film "IS THAT YOU?" (2014) found success at several International Film Festivals, such as Hollywood, Montreal, Haifa and Syracuse Film Festivals, the 28th Israel Film Festival in LA, and the Jewish Film Festivals across the US. It has also won "Best Indie Film of the Year" award (2014), and has been nominated for the "Best Film of the Year" award (2014) by the Israeli Academy. Currently the film is opening in cinemas across Israel.
Dani Menkin's award winning film Dolphin Boy (2011) won among several nominations and awards, the "Jury Mention Award" at the Jerusalem International Film Festival. Menkin directed and produced the documentary film along with Jonathan Nir. The film tells the rehabilitation story of the lad Murad at the Dolphin Reef in Eilat. The film, which shot partly underwater, won several awards around the world and screened in many networks, among them - the French-German Arte and British Channel 4. Dolphin Boy was sold to over 20 countries around the globe, and has been bought by Disney for a fiction adaptation.
Dani Menkin wrote, produced and directed the award winning film "JE T'AIME - I LOVE YOU TERMINAL" (2010). The film has participated and won International Festivals, including "Best Feature film" award at Houston International film festival.
Dani Menkin is a co-producer and a creator-partner of Ilan Heitner for the Israeli cult indie film "WISDOM OF THE PRETZEL", which is one of the most successful independent feature films in Israeli cinema.
In 2005 Director, writer and producer Dani Menkin created his own Independent film production "Hey Jude Productions". You can visit the site at Hey Jude Productions
Dani Menkin is a speaker at some distinguish panels over International Festivals around the world, as well as a juror and film professor in American and Israelis Universities and Colleges.
Is That You? (83 min) 2014
 The story of RONNIE, 60-year-old Israeli film projectionist, who has been fired from his job and is going now to the U.S. in search of RACHEL, the love of his youth. IS THAT YOU? is a romantic, road trip journey to 'The Road Not Taken' in life created by Award Winning filmmaker Dani Menkin.
Je T'aime I Love You Terminal (80 min) 2011
 A romantic drama which follows Ben, a 29-year-old Israeli on his way to New York to re-join his fiancée and start his new life. During the flight he meets a flirtatious, outrageous, and somewhat dysfunctional Emma. Over the course of 24-hour connection in Prague, the two contemplate life, love, and relationships. Starring Israeli musician Danny Niv (Mooki)as Ben, and Naruna De-Macedo Kaplan as Emma.
39 Pounds of Love (70 min) 2005-2007
 A documentary film which follows Ami Ankilewitz who was diagnosed at childhood with an extremely rare form of SMA/2 that severely limits his physical growth and movement. Ami was given 6 years to live and outlived the doctor's predictions to the age of 34. The film won multiple awards including the Ophir award in 2005.
Dolphin Boy (2011)
 Directed along with Yonathan Nir, this documentary film tells the story of Morad, a teenage boy from an Arab village in the north of Israel, who have suffered a violent attack, which led him to a trauma. Morad stopped having contact with the outside world, and just before hospitalization in a mental institute, was taken by his father to be treated with Dolphins in Eilat. The film follows Morad's therapy over the course of four years.
- Is That You? - Winner of the "Best Indie Film" of the year (2014) by Israeli Academy; Nominated to "Best Film of the year" (2014) by Israeli Academy.
- 39 Pounds of Love - Winner of The Israeli Academy Awards “Ophir Awards”; Winner of The Palm Beach International Film festival; Winner of The Tallgrass Film Festival; Winner of The Tahoe/Reno International film festival; Winner of The Tssalonicki International film festival; Winner of The Boston Jewish Film Festival; Winner of The Atlanta Jewish Film Festivals; Winner of The Israeli film Festival in New York; Winner of The California Governor Awards.
- Je Taime I Love You Terminal - Winner of The Haifa International Film Festival, Distribution Awards; Winner of The Bronze Palm Award at the 2011 Mexico International Film Festival.
- Dolphin Boy - Winner First Prize in Antibes Underwater Film Festival; Winner of The Special Jury Mention Awards at the Woodstock International Film Festival; Winner of The Special Jury Mention Awards at the Jerusalem International Film Festival.
- Merav Yudelovich, "Osim laSeret Sof", Ynet.co.il (23 March 2010)
- David Lamble, ClaudesPlace.com (2006) Interview with Dani and Asaf - 39 Pounds of Love
- Lauren Smart, Syracuse.com (2011)"Israeli filmmaker, who is visiting artist in Syracuse for a year, will screen two films at film festival"
- Iain Stott, The One-Line Review, 2011
- Dani Menkin at the Internet Movie Database
- Je Taime I Love You Terminal - official website
- 39 Pound of Love - official website
- Dolphin Boy - official website
- Interview with Dani Menkin on 39 Pounds of Love - YouTube
- Interview with Dani Menkin and Judith Manassen Ramon at the Woodstock Film Festival 2011, on Dolphin Boy - YouTube