- Community and the Politics of Place, University of Oklahoma Press, 1990. ISBN 0-8061-2227-7 (review)
- The Good City and the Good Life: Renewing the American Community, Houghton Mifflin, 1995. ISBN 0-395-68630-X
- This Sovereign Land: A New Vision for Governing the West, Island Press, 2001. ISBN 1-55963-842-7
He was born and raised on a farm in eastern Montana. He is a graduate of Harvard University and the University of Montana School of Law. He has formerly served as mayor of Missoula, Montana (1990–1996), speaker and minority leader of the Montana House of Representatives (1983–1985) and director of the Center for the Rocky Mountain West at the University of Montana.
- "Daniel Kemmis". Utne Reader (online). January–February 1995. Retrieved July 26, 2011.
- Philanthropy Northwest https://philanthropynw.org/search?keys=daniel%20kemmis. Retrieved 24 September 2015. Missing or empty
|This article about a United States writer of non-fiction is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a mayor in Montana is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|