Daniel Roberts (fighter)
|Born||Daniel Lamar Roberts|
August 5, 1980
Rockford, Illinois, United States
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
|Reach||74.0 in (188 cm)|
|Fighting out of||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Team||Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu |
|Rank||Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Under Jake Shields|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Roberts is a graduate of Bacone College in Muskogee, Oklahoma, where he majored in Business Administration. At Bacone College, Roberts was a standout athlete and an NAIA All-American wrestler. Roberts also has 12 years of jiu-jitsu experience and is proficient in Karate, Judo and Boxing.
He recently moved out to California to train with Gilbert Melendez and his team, the Skrap Pack. He also trains at Fairtex Muay Thai in San Francisco.
Mixed martial arts career
Roberts made his professional debut in 2007, and moved to 9-0 before being signed by the UFC.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Roberts signed a four-fight deal with the UFC in March 2010. He made his debut on short notice, filling in for an injured Anthony Johnson to fight John Howard at UFC Live: Vera vs. Jones. After an exciting grappling affair in the first two minutes, Howard delivered a punch that knocked Roberts unconscious.
Roberts was expected to fight Julio Paulino at UFC 116, but Paulino was forced from the card with an injury. Roberts instead fought veteran Forrest Petz. Roberts won the fight via split decision.
Roberts fought and quickly defeated Mike Guymon on October 23, 2010 at UFC 121. The fight barely passed the minute mark in the first round before Roberts applied an anaconda choke, and earned the submission win. His submission win also earned him the 'Submission of the Night' honors.
On January 1, 2011 at UFC 125, Roberts fought Greg Soto and after some early back-and-forth grappling, Roberts grabbed Soto's arm in a kimura, took top position and forced the tapout with just over a minute left in the opening round.
Roberts then faced fellow up-and-comer, Claude Patrick, on April 30, 2011 at UFC 129. On the judges scorecards, Roberts lost two of the three rounds, ultimately losing the fight via unanimous decision (29–28, 29–28, 29–28).
When injuries caused shuffling at UFC on Versus 4, taking place June 26, 2011, Roberts stepped in on very short notice to fight Rich Attonito. Roberts lost the fight via unanimous decision (29–27, 30–27, 29–28).
Roberts next faced Charlie Brenneman on January 20, 2012 at UFC on FX: Guillard vs. Miller. He lost the fight via unanimous decision. He was later released from the promotion following three consecutive losses.
In his first fight after his UFC release, Roberts would face Nuri Shakir at Freedom Fight MMA on October 27, 2012. He won the fight via rear-naked choke submission in the second round. Roberts would then get his second straight submission win, when he submitted UFC veteran Brian Foster via rear-naked choke at Combat MMA on May 18, 2013.
He then faced Justin Baesman at War MMA 1 on June 22, 2013. He lost the fight via split decision.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|22 matches||15 wins||7 losses|
|Loss||15–7||Akihiro Murayama||Decision (split)||Pancrase: 266||April 26, 2015||3||5:00||Tokyo, Japan|
|Loss||15–6||Derrick Krantz||Submission (von flue choke)||Legacy FC 35||September 26, 2014||1||2:49||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||15–5||Brock Jardine||Decision (split)||Titan FC 28: Brilz vs. Davis||May 16, 2014||3||5:00||Newkirk, Oklahoma, United States|
|Loss||14–5||Justin Baesman||Decision (split)||War MMA 1||June 22, 2013||3||5:00||Stockton, California, United States|
|Win||14–4||Brian Foster||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Combat MMA||May 18, 2013||1||1:29||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||13–4||Nuri Shakir||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Freedom Fight MMA||October 27, 2012||2||2:55||Sudbury, Ontario, Canada||Catchweight (180 lbs) bout.|
|Loss||12–4||Charlie Brenneman||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on FX: Guillard vs. Miller||January 20, 2012||3||5:00||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Loss||12–3||Rich Attonito||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Live: Kongo vs. Barry||June 26, 2011||3||5:00||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Loss||12–2||Claude Patrick||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 129||April 30, 2011||3||5:00||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Win||12–1||Greg Soto||Submission (kimura)||UFC 125||January 1, 2011||1||3:45||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||11–1||Mike Guymon||Submission (anaconda choke)||UFC 121||October 23, 2010||1||1:13||Anaheim, California, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||10–1||Forrest Petz||Decision (split)||UFC 116||July 3, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||9–1||John Howard||KO (punch)||UFC Live: Vera vs. Jones||March 21, 2010||1||2:01||Broomfield, Colorado, United States|
|Win||9–0||Anthony Macias||Submission (punches)||XFL: New Year's Revolution||Jan 16, 2010||1||4:00||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||8–0||Mike Jackson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Bricktown Brawl 2||Aug 28, 2009||1||1:33||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||7–0||Jeff Lindsay||Submission (punches)||Bricktown Brawl 1||May 8, 2009||1||1:14||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||6–0||Gabriel Vasquez||Submission (kimura)||C3 Fights||January 30, 2009||1||1:37||Clinton, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||5–0||Levi Avera||Submission (kimura)||Freestyle Cage Fighting||September 21, 2008||2||2:45||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||4–0||Akira Ninjo||Decision (unanimous)||Extreme Fighting League||March 15, 2008||3||4:00||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||3–0||Danny Grass||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Extreme Fighting League||January 25, 2008||1||0:56||Miami, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||2–0||Jeremy Michael||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Extreme Fighting League||November 10, 2007||1||1:20||Catoosa, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||1–0||Brandon Gaines||Decision (split)||Extreme Fighting League||September 8, 2007||3||N/A||Oklahoma, United States|
- Unbeaten Roberts Replaces Johnson at UFC’s Versus Debut
- "Daniel Roberts vs. Julio Paulino set for UFC 116 preliminary card". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-29.
- "Forrest Petz replaces injured Julio Paulino, meets Daniel Roberts at UFC 116". mmajunkie.com. June 17, 2010. Archived from the original on June 19, 2010.
- "Mike Guymon vs. Daniel Roberts targeted for UFC 121 prelims". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2010-08-02. Retrieved 2010-07-30.
- "Cain Velasquez, Diego Sanchez, Paulo Thiago and Daniel Roberts earn $70K for UFC 121 performances". baltimoremartialarts.com. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- "UFC 125: Daniel Roberts set to take on Greg Soto on Jan. 1 in Las Vegas". mmafrenzy.com. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "Daniel Roberts takes on Claude Patrick at UFC 129". MMADiehards.com. January 8, 2011.
- "UFC on Versus 4: Matt Brown vs John Howard booked for June 26 with Martin Kampmann injured". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Daniel 'Ninja' Roberts vs. T.J. Waldburger Added to UFC Fight Night: Battle on the Bayou". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2014-06-29.
- "Daniel Roberts out at UFC Fight Night 25, T.J. Waldburger meets Mike Stumpf". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Charlie Brenneman vs. Daniel Roberts targeted for UFC on FX 1". mmajunkie.com. December 5, 2011. Archived from the original on January 9, 2012. Retrieved December 5, 2011.
- Steven Marrocco (February 25, 2012). "Daniel Roberts looks for personal-life stability following UFC release". MMAjunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2012-02-28.
- Ben Leeson (October 26, 2012). "Shakir sees Freedom Fight bout against Roberts as must-win". thesudburystar.com.
- Sherdog.com Staff (May 18, 2013). "CMMA: Combat MMA Results". Sherdog.com. Archived from the original on July 2, 2014.
- Bryan Tucker (June 22, 2013). "War MMA Results: Roberts vs. Baesman". mmafighting.com.
- Dana Becker (March 21, 2014). "Titan FC 28 Lands Brock Jardine-Daniel Roberts". fightline.com.
- MMAJunkie.com Staff (May 17, 2014). "Titan FC 28 results: Brilz outworks Davis, Herman tops Starnes". mmajunkie.com.
- "UFC Fighter Daniel 'Ninja' Roberts: Facing the Fears of Fatherhood". Bleacherreport.com. 2011-01-18. Retrieved 2011-01-20.