This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Danny Yamashiro in 2015
|Alma mater||Chaminade University|
Biola University (BA, MA)
Harvard University (ALM)
|Occupation||Radio host, evangelist, pastor, author|
On December 22, 1985, attempting to rescue his stranded girlfriend from a 20-foot (6 meters) mountain-climbing fall, Danny Yamashiro slipped and fell head first 300 feet (91 meters) and later another 100 feet (31 meters). The second fall took place during an attempted rescue and was captured on film. It aired on newscasts throughout Hawaii. He suffered severe head injuries, skull fractures, multiple tears in his scalp, a shattered ankle, damaged organs, extensive lacerations, and being comatose.
Daniel Keauhou Matsu "Danny" Yamashiro was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. He is an American of Chinese, Hawaiian and Japanese ancestry with paternal roots in Okinawa. He is the great grandson of Hawaii detective Chang Apana. He graduated from Iolani School in 1986. He is married to Jamie Yamashiro. They have three children: Allie, Hugh and Luke.
Education and training
Danny Yamashiro earned a Master of Liberal Arts degree at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, with a concentration in Government from Harvard Extension School. He graduated on May 25, 2017 at Harvard's 366th commencement. An interview by Harvard described Yamashiro's journey to Cambridge from Honolulu. His thesis, Religious Influences on Crisis Presidential Decision-Making: A New Belief in the Operational Code Analysis of George W. Bush (2017), under the direction of David F. Holland from Harvard Divinity School, was featured at Harvard's annual ALM Thesis Symposium. He attended the University of Oxford Theology Summer School at Christ Church, Oxford in England (2018).
Yamashiro studied at Chaminade University (1987) in Honolulu, Hawaii, before transferring to Biola University and Talbot School of Theology in La Mirada, California, where he earned his Bachelor of Arts in Biblical Studies and Theology (1991) and Master of Arts in Bible Exposition (1993). His thesis, Jesus Christ in Every Biblical Book (1992), directed by A. Boyd Luter, explored types, symbols, prophecies and pictures of Christ in all 66 books of the Bible. He studied in Egypt and Israel as part of his graduate program. He served as a pastoral intern at Christ Presbyterian Church of Hollywood in California and at Kalihi Union Church in Hawaii. He studied Expository Preaching in Memphis, Tennessee, under Stephen F. Olford (1994), trained in Apologetics under John Warwick Montgomery in Strasbourg, France (1998), and received pastoral training from Jack W. Hayford in Van Nuys, California. He was a delegate at two conferences: North American Conference for Itinerant Evangelists (NACIE) 1994 in Louisville, Kentucky, and 2000 in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Evangelist and pastor
In 1993, he founded Jesus Christ Is Calling You Evangelistic Ministry, Inc. (JCCY) and launched a series of large-scale revival tent meetings throughout Hawaii. Since 1998, his organization formed Paradise Global Mission and expanded to reach several countries worldwide with medical and dental clinics, sports clinics and numerous forms of humanitarian aid by supporting the work of Christian churches in rural locations.
He is the founding pastor of Christ's Church at Kapolei, affiliated with the Evangelical Free Church of America, and served as senior pastor for nine years (1998–2007).
Radio and television host
Yamashiro hosts the program A Slice of The Good Life which airs daily throughout the United States and internationally in Ontario, Canada; Kent, England; and Malaybalay City, Philippines  weekdays, and formerly aired in Greater Los Angeles on Salem Communications 99.5 KKLA-FM. He hosts Hawaii's only locally based daily Christian radio talk show, The Good Life Hawaii, on Salem Communications 99.5 KGU-FM, a program of Danny Yamashiro Ministries. His guests have included media personalities, politicians, entertainers, educators, pastors, coaches and athletes.
Awards and associations
Yamashiro won the Harvard Extension School Commencement Speaker Prize (2017). He was awarded Biola University's Young Alumni Award (2000) and has received numerous certificates of recognition from the Hawaii Senate, Hawaii House of Representatives, Honolulu City Council and the Mayor of Honolulu, Jeremy Harris. Yamashiro was the first ordained clergyman selected for the Pacific Century Fellows and offered a prayer at a celebratory dinner hosted by the Governor of Hawaii, Benjamin Cayetano at the historic "Washington Place" (1999).
Yamashiro has authored the following books:
- Yamashiro, Danny (1997). Paradise Calls: Spellbinding Story of Hawaii's Evangelist. Jesus Christ Is Calling You, Inc. ISBN 1-890312-00-2.
- Yamashiro, Danny (1998). Know Your Future Today. Jesus Christ Is Calling You, Inc. ISBN 1-890312-01-0.
- Yamashiro, Danny (2000). Spiritual Reshaping of a Christian Hawaii. Keauhou Press. ISBN 1-890312-02-9.
- Yamashiro, Danny (2003). The Good Life: Encouragement You Need When You Need It. Kerygma Publishing. ISBN 1-890312-05-3.
- Yamashiro, Danny (2004). Building Blocks for Better Living. Kerygma Publishing. ISBN 1-890312-06-1.
- Yamashiro, Danny (2007). Discover the Champion in You. Kerygma Publishing. ISBN 978-1890312-04-6.
- Yamashiro, Danny (2008). Successful Evangelism 100% of the Time. Kerygma Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9815219-0-9.
- Yamashiro, Danny (2011). Paradise Calls: A Spellbinding Story of Survival and Hope from Hawaii's Evangelist. White Mountain Castle Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-0-9815219-3-0.
- Yamashiro, Danny (2012). Winner's Edge. White Mountain Castle Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-0-9847027-0-1.
- Yamashiro, Danny (2016). Unleashing The Greatness in You. White Mountain Castle Publishing, LLC.
- "Iolani Bull_spring 2002_04" (PDF). Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- Honolulu Star Bulletin, December 22, 1993 Pali fall puts youth in Christ's hands
- "Danny's Story". Dannyyamashiro.com. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- "Danny Yamashiro Receives Standing Ovation at Harvard Commencement for 'Falling 400 Feet' » NRB Christian Communicators Impacting The World". nrb.org. Retrieved June 20, 2017.
- name="Paradise Calls"
- "Iolani Bulletin: The Summer Break of a Lifetime". www.iolanibulletin.org. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- ""Goodbye Danny" - Kalihi Union Church". Kalihi Union Church. 2015-07-13. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Harvard Gazette » Harvard Awards 10 Honorary Degrees: Recognizes Principal Speaker Mark Zuckerberg Among Others Top in Their Field". news.harvard.edu. Retrieved June 20, 2017.
- "Harvard Extension School » Daniel Yamashiro: Student Spotlight". extension.harvard.edu. Retrieved May 29, 2017.
- "Digital Access To Scholarship At Harvard » Religious Influences on Crisis Presidential Decision-Making: A New Belief in the Operational Code Analysis of George W. Bush" (PDF). dash.harvard.edu. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
- "Harvard Extension School » Daniel Yamashiro: Student Spotlight". extension.harvard.edu. Retrieved June 20, 2017.
- "Harvard College » ALM Thesis Symposium". college.harvard.edu. Retrieved May 29, 2017.
- "Jesus Christ in every biblical book". OCLC World Cat. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- "The Summer Break of a Lifetime". Iolani Bulletin. July 24, 2009. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
-  Archived July 24, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "KGU-FM – Honolulu, HI – Life Changing Christian Radio broadcasts, Programs, Ministries and stations – Listen Online to Christian Teaching and Talk". Kguradio.com. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- White Mountain Castle Publishing. "White Mountain Castle Publishing – Services". Whitemountaincastle.com. Archived from the original on July 18, 2011. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- "isites.harvard.edu » Harvard Faculty of Arts and Sciences 2016-2017 Student Prize Recipients" (PDF). Retrieved June 20, 2017.
- "Biola Magazine » Where Are They Now?". magazine.biola.edu. Retrieved June 20, 2017.
- "ALUMNI 1997 – present". Pacific Century Fellows. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- "Members--A » NRB Christian Communicators Impacting The World". nrb.org. Retrieved June 20, 2017.
- "Luis Palau Association » nga evangelists w to z". Palau.org. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Danny Yamashiro|