Medieval church of Rinsumageast
Location in Friesland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Arie Aalberts (CDA)|
|• Total||87.53 km2 (33.80 sq mi)|
|• Land||85.41 km2 (32.98 sq mi)|
|• Water||2.12 km2 (0.82 sq mi)|
|Elevation||2 m (7 ft)|
|Population (December 2013)|
|• Density||223/km2 (580/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postcode||9067, 9100–9114, 9269–9272|
|Area code||0511, 0519, 058|
Dantumadiel (West Frisian, official since January 1, 2009, Dutch: Dantumadeel ( pronunciation (help·info))) is a municipality in the province of Friesland (Fryslân) in the Netherlands. Dantumadiel is a rural municipality characterized by agriculture.
The first time Dantumadiel is mentioned was in a document from 1242. In that time Dantumadiel, or Donthmadeil as it was then known, was a part of the Winninghe district, the northern part of Oostergo. The grietenij (municipality) Dantumadeel was led by a grietman (mayor) who was holding office in Rinsumageast and Dantumawoude. The Dutch Municipalities Act of 1851 (Dutch: Gemeentewet van 1851) abolished the grietenijen, which automatically became gemeenten (municipalities) headed by a mayor.
The Dantumadiel municipality is composed of 10 towns with a total of 19,399 inhabitants in 2008; the towns and their 2008 populations are listed in the table.
|Frisian Name||Dutch Name||Residents|
|De Falom||De Valom||271|
Source: Website Dantumadiel municipality
* Including Feanwâldsterwâl (Veenwoudsterwal)
- Damwâld (Dantumawâld and Moarrewâld) and Rinsumageast, are home to medieval churches.
- The villages Broeksterwâld (Grote Molen and De Broekmolen) Rinsumageast and Readtsjerk are home to mills.
- The Skierstins a medieval fortified house in Feanwâlden.
thumb|De Grote Molen, Broeksterwoude, build in 1887
Persons born in Dantumadiel
- Piet Jongeling (1909–1985), journalist, politician and children's books writer
- Theun de Vries (1907–2005), writer
- Tineke Huizinga (1960), politician
- Syb van der Ploeg (1966), musician and composer
The Dantumadiel municipal government consists of a municipal council, board of aldermen and the mayor. Arie Aalberts (CDA) is the mayor of Dantumadiel since September 2004.
- "Burgemeester" [Mayor] (in Dutch). Gemeente Dantumadiel. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- "Postcodetool for 9104BR". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 23 December 2013. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "Definitieve lijst Frysktalige straatnamen". Retrieved 2009-01-01.
- "Gemeente Dantumadiel - Dorpen". Retrieved 2009-01-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dantumadeel.|