David Douglas-Home, 15th Earl of Home
|The Right Honourable|
The Earl of Home
KT CVO CBE
Official portrait of The Earl of Home
|Member of the House of Lords|
|Assumed office |
24 September 1996
|Preceded by||Alec Douglas-Home (1963)|
|Born||20 November 1943|
|Alma mater||Christ Church, Oxford|
Background and education
Home is the only son of Sir Alec Douglas-Home, formerly 14th Earl of Home and British Prime Minister and later Lord Home of the Hirsel, and Elizabeth Alington, daughter of Cyril Alington. He was educated at Eton College and Christ Church, Oxford.
Home succeeded to his father's disclaimed earldom on his death in October 1995. When the hereditary peers of the House of Lords were reduced under the House of Lords Act 1999, he was elected as one of the 92 that were allowed to remain. He sits as a Conservative, having served some time on the Conservative front bench.
Apart from his political career Lord Home was, until 2013, Chairman of the private bank Coutts & Co. and remains Chairman of the Grosvenor Group. He is also the current President of the British Association for Shooting and Conservation and Chief of the Name and Arms of Home.
- Lady Iona Katherine Douglas-Home (born 1980), married the Hon. James Thomas Wingfield Hewitt (b. 1979), son and heir of the 9th Viscount Lifford, on 5 April 2008. They have three sons:
- Harry Alexander Wyldbore Hewitt (born 9 February 2010)
- Rory David Wingfield Hewitt (born 3 February 2012)
- Nico James Cospatrick Hewitt (born 15 May 2015)
- Lady Mary Elizabeth Douglas-Home (born 1982)
- Michael David Alexander Douglas-Home, Lord Dunglass (born 30 November 1987), engaged to Sally Underhill
Titles and styles
- The Hon. David Douglas-Home (1943–1951)
- Lord Dunglass (1951–1991)
- In 1963, the year his father disclaimed his earldom (and became Prime Minister), David too discontinued the use of his courtesy title.
- Lord Dunglass CBE (1991–1995)
- The Rt Hon. The Earl of Home CBE (1995–1997)
- The Rt Hon. The Earl of Home CVO CBE (1997–2013)
- The Rt Hon. The Earl of Home KT CVO CBE (2014–)
- Knight of the Thistle (2014)
- Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (1997)
- Commander of the Order of the British Empire (1991)
|Ancestors of David Douglas-Home, 15th Earl of Home|
- "No. 60728". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2013. p. 1.
- Theroff (2007). "Descendants of King James VI & I" updated November 2007.
- "Announcements — Engagements: Lord Dunglass and Miss S.A. Underhill". The Daily Telegraph. 27 May 2016.
- "Lord Home of the Hirsel - Obituary", The Times, 10 October 1995.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Home
- Clan Home Association – Official website
- Theroff, Paul (2007). "Descendants of King James VI & I" updated 11 November 2007 in text format, The Theroff Files. Retrieved 30 November 2007.
|Peerage of Scotland|
Title last held byAlec Douglas-Home
| Earl of Home
Michael Douglas-Home, Lord Dunglass