David Norman (soccer)
|Full name||David McDonald Norman Jr.|
|Date of birth||May 6, 1962|
|Place of birth||Glasgow, Scotland|
|Height||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|1983–1984||Vancouver Whitecaps (indoor)||?||(?)|
|1985–1987||Tacoma Stars (indoor)||61||(8)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Scotland-born Norman grew up playing soccer in Coquitlam, British Columbia and went on to play 17 years as a professional. Norman began his pro career with the Vancouver Whitecaps of the North American Soccer League from 1981 to 1984, scoring three goals. During the winter months between 1980 and 1982, he played for University College Dublin A.F.C., in the League of Ireland, making 45 appearances and scoring 8 goals. Along with three Canadian teammates he was released in February 1982. Norman played one season of indoor soccer for the Whitecaps in 1983–84. He also played for the Tacoma Stars of the original Major Indoor Soccer League, and for the Canadian Soccer League's Winnipeg Fury.
He made his debut for Canada in a December 1983 friendly match against Honduras and earned 51 caps, scoring 1 goal. He played all three of the country's 1986 World Cup games. Norman also played for the Canadians at the 1984 Olympics. Norman, together with three other Canadian players, Igor Vrablic, Hector Marinaro and Chris Chueden, was involved in a match fixing scandal at the Merlion Cup tournament in Singapore two months after the World Cup. The four players who were charged were later suspended by the Canadian Soccer Association for "bringing the game into disrepute." Norman was reinstated in 1992 after admitting his involvement in the scandal.
- Scores and results list Canada's goal tally first.
|1||June 2, 1985||Seoul, South Korea||Ghana||2-1||Presidents Cup|
Norman has coached for Coquitlam MFSC since 1989 as well coaching with the Whitecaps Prospects programs. Norman is also the soccer colour commentator on The TEAM 1040 in Vancouver for the Vancouver Whitecaps FC Major League Soccer radio broadcasts.
- NASL Jerseys: David Norman Retrieved on March 22, 2009
- [dead link]
- Appearances for Canada National Team - RSSSF
- Coquitlam MFSC: Coaches Archived March 10, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on March 20, 2009
- FIFA: David Norman Retrieved on March 22, 2009
- Benjamin Massey. "Canadian Players Convicted in Match-Fixing Scandal". Eighty Six Forever. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Poll: The Day Canada's Soccer Team - Died". robbinssceresearch.com. Retrieved April 20, 2015.