David Plunkert (born 1965) is an award-winning illustrator and graphic designer based in Baltimore, MD. Plunkert graduated from Shepherd University in 1987. David is best known for his editorial illustrations and theater posters. His illustrations are highly conceptual, in two styles, Dada influenced collage and spare blocky graphics. David Plunkert and Joyce Hesselberth co-founded Spur Design, a graphic design and illustration studio, in 1995.
A prolific artist, his work has appeared on the pages of Esquire, Forbes, GQ, The New Yorker, Time, Reader's Digest, Playboy and Rolling Stone magazines, as well as in The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. Plunkert has also worked extensively with publishers and recording artists. Among his credits are the covers for Natan Sharansky’s Case for Democracy and Richard Thompson’s You? me? us?
He was included in the group show “America Illustrata” which completed its international tour in 2000. His work is in the collections of the Library of Congress, the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, The University of California Design Museum, and the Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe in Hamburg.
He has produced illustrations for the 2000 Sundance Film Festival and for Woodstock 94. In 1995 he created the art for the "Yugo Next" exhibition poster at New York's Grand Central Terminal. The National Endowment of the Arts in Washington, DC described "Yugo Next" as "one of the greatest ever examples of public art."
- "Visualizing Finance 1.0: Developing a Common Language" Visualizing Finance Lab ISBN 978-1-62407-430-1
- Steven Heller, Talarico Lita ed. "Typography Sketchbooks" Princeton Architectural Press ISBN 1616890428
- Ellen Lupton, Jennifer Cole Phillips. "Graphic Design: The New Basics" Princeton Architectural Press ISBN 1568987706
- Robin Landa. "Graphic Design Solutions" Wadsworth Publishing ISBN 978-0-495-57281-7
- John Foster, ed. "1,000 Indie Posters" Rockport Publishers ISBN 1592536565
- Marvin Scott Jarrett, ed. "Raygun Out of Control" Simon & Schuster ISBN 0684839806
- John Foster, ed. "New Masters of Poster Design: Poster Design ISBN 1-59253-222-5
- American Illustration: Eds. 9, 12-30, Vol 25 ISBN 1-886212-25-2
- David E. Carter, ed. "The New Big Book of Color" ISBN 0-06-113767-7
- Ochs, Michael ed., "The Greatest Album Covers That Never Were" ISBN 0-9740078-0-3
- Pitzer, Chris ed., "Project: Telstar" Adhouse Books 2003, ISBN 0-9721794-2-9
- Sullivan, Jenny, ed. "Graphic Design America" Rockport Publishers, 2005, ISBN 1-59253-126-1
- "2 Color Graphics", Rockport Publishers, 2004, ISBN 1-59253-092-3
Interviews and Articles
- Meggs, Philip B., "Edgy Baltimore," Print (magazine), Vol XLIX:III, May/June 1995
- Graphis 305, Volume 25, September/October 1996
- Showroom, Novum World of Graphic Design, September 2003
- Graphis 351, Volume 60, May/June 2004
- Mooth, Bryn, "The Man with Two Brains," How Design & Illustration, August 2006
- American Illustration - American Photography "Profile", April, 2015