Dean of Southwell
The Dean of Southwell is the head (primus inter pares – first among equals) and chair of the chapter of canons, the ruling body of Southwell Minster. The dean and chapter are based at the Cathedral and Parish Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Southwell, Nottinghamshire. Before 2000 the post was designated as a provost, which was then the equivalent of a dean at most English cathedrals. The cathedral is the mother church of the Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham and seat of the Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham. The current dean is Nicola Sullivan.
List of deans
- 1931–1945 William Conybeare
- 1945–1969 Hugh Heywood
- 1970–1978 John Pratt
- 1978–1991 Murray Irvine
- 1991–19 March 2000 David Leaning (became Dean)
- 19 March 2000–2006 David Leaning
- 8 September 2007–30 June 2014 (ret.) John Guille
- 30 June 2014–17 September 2016: Nigel Coates (Acting)
- 17 September 2016–present: Nicola Sullivan
- "Appointments (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#7154). 31 March 2000. p. 20. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 31 December 2014. (Subscription required (help)).
- Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham – Press Releases – New Dean installation
- "Resignations and Retirements". Church Times (#7862). 22 November 2013. p. 30. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 22 November 2013. (Subscription required (help)).
- Diocese of Southwell & Nottingham — New Dean of Southwell announced (Accessed 4 April 2016)
- Diocese of Bath & Wells — Farewell service for Archdeacon Nicola (Accessed 30 June 2016)