Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy
|Formed||3 December 2007|
|Dissolved||18 September 2013|
|Jurisdiction||Commonwealth of Australia|
|Employees||679 (at April 2013)|
|Annual budget||A$113.190 million (2012/013)|
The Australian Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy is a former department of the Government of Australia that was charged with the responsibility to help develop a vibrant, sustainable and internationally competitive broadband, broadcasting and communications sector and, through this, promote the digital economy for the benefit of all Australians.
The department was formed in 2007 and dissolved in 2013. Its functions were assumed by the newly created Department of Communications.
In the Administrative Arrangements Order of 3 December 2007, the functions of the department were broadly classified into the following matters:
- Broadband policy and programs
- Postal and telecommunications policies and programs
- Spectrum policy management
- Broadcasting policy
- National policy issues relating to the digital economy
- Content policy relating to the information economy
- The Higher Bandwidth Incentive Scheme (HiBIS) was a strategy which ran from 2004 to 2007 to provide registered Internet service providers with incentive payments to supply higher bandwidth services in regional, rural and remote areas at prices comparable to those available in metropolitan areas.
- The Australia Connected package was announced on 18 June 2007. Up to $958 million ($600 million from Broadband Connect Infrastructure Program funding and an additional $358 million in funding) was allocated towards a new national wholesale network which was stated to deliver high speed broadband to rural and regional Australia by June 2009.
- CA 9184: The Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, National Archives of Australia, retrieved 11 January 2014
- Australian Public Service Commission (2 December 2013), State of the Service Report: State of the Service Series 2012-13 (PDF), Australian Public Service Commission, p. 253, archived from the original (PDF) on 6 December 2013
- Peake, Ross (11 February 2013). "PM's new department head 'an asset'". The Canberra Times. Fairfax Media. Archived from the original on 11 January 2014.
- Kelly, Joe (27 November 2012). "Harris to step into PC top job". The Australian. News Corp Australia.
- Rudd, Kevin (13 August 2009). "Departmental secretaries and statutory office-holders, Canberra" (Press release). Archived from the original on 10 November 2013.
- "Corporate Plan 2011-13". About us. Commonwealth of Australia. 3 October 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Administrative Arrangement Order of 3 December 2007" (PDF). Government of Australia. 3 December 2007. p. 10. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 April 2013.