|Chief of Staff of the Prime Minister's Office|
15 September 2015 – 21 April 2017
|Secretary of the Department of Communications|
18 September 2013 – 21 September 2015
|Secretary of the Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy|
11 March 2013 – 18 September 2013
|Secretary of the Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism|
April 2010 – March 2013
Andrew Leigh Clarke
|Alma mater||Ohio State University|
Andrew Leigh Clarke Chief of Staff to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, before his retirement in April 2017. Since his retirement from the public service he has been appointed to the board of nbn™ and is to become chairman of the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO).is a former senior Australian public servant who served as Secretary of several departments and as
Life and career
As a former surveyor who had worked in Australia and Antarctica, Clarke joined the Energy area of the Department of Industry, Tourism and Resources in 2002 and moved to the newly created Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism in December 2007.
Clarke was promoted to Secretary of the Department in April 2010.
Clarke was appointed to head the Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy in February 2013, an appointment for five years from 11 March 2013.
He was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering in 2011.
Clarke was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) on Australia Day 2016 "for distinguished service to public administration, to communications and energy policy initiatives and reform, and to the spatial information industry".
- Andrew Probyn, (16 October 2017), Malcolm Turnbull's former chief of staff to be new energy 'tsar' under alternative to Clean Energy Target, ABC News. Retrieved 16 October 2017
- "Departure of the Secretary of the Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism" (Press release). 11 February 2013.
- Our Secretary: Drew Clarke, Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism, 18 January 2011, archived from the original on 14 March 2011
- Peake, Ross (11 February 2013). "PM's new department head 'an asset'". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Archived from the original on 9 August 2015.
- Senior Commonwealth Public Service Appointments (PDF), Hawker Britton, February 2013, archived from the original (PDF) on 1 March 2014
- Public servant Drew Clarke replaces Peta Credlin as acting chief of staff, Canberra Times, September 2015
- PM's chief adviser Drew Clarke to retire, Greg Moriarty named chief of staff, Canberra Times, 18 April 2017
- Tom McIlroy, (15 August 2017), Malcolm Turnbull's former chief of staff Drew Clarke named to NBN Co board, Canberra Times. Retrieved 15 August 2017
- "CLARKE, Andrew Leigh - Public Service Medal (PSM)", It's an Honour, Australian Government, archived from the original on 9 August 2015
- "CLARKE, Andrew (Drew) Leigh - Officer of the Order of Australia (AO)". It's an Honour. Australian Government. 26 January 2016.
| Secretary of the Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism
| Secretary of the Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy
as Secretary of the Department of Communications
as Secretary of the Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy
| Secretary of the Department of Communications
as Secretary of the Department of Communications and the Arts