Desert Ridge High School
|Desert Ridge High School|
|10045 E. Madero Ave.
Mesa, Arizona, 85209
|Type||Public High School|
|School district||Gilbert Public Schools|
|Number of students||2,612 (October 1, 2012)|
|Color(s)||Red and Black|
|Rival||Skyline High School (Arizona)|
In 2005 chemistry and engineering teacher Sylvia Grace was honored with a $25,000 Milken National Educator Award. Through her involvement with Project Lead the Way, which she brought to Desert Ridge, Grace distinguished herself as a teacher who is intelligent, patient, and has a sense of humor, all of the qualities needed to win such an award. She was the only Arizona recipient of the award among the 100 educators honored nationwide.
In 2007 the DRHS Drama Department's production of The Odd Couple was selected to go the Arizona Thespian Society's Annual State Conference as a main stage performance, to be performed in front of the estimated 1,900 thespians attending the event in November. In spring 2007 they had a production of the musical Footloose, and their production of Romeo and Juliet debuted on April 3, 2008.
Desert Ridge's marching band is ranked among the top 5 Division III bands in the state, scoring a 69.6 at the 2009 State Marching Festival, and a 68.00 at the 2010 State Marching Festival.
Desert Ridge also holds 2 baseball state championship titles.
- AIA 2012 enrollment figures Archived October 21, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Desert Ridge High School Report Card 2005-2006" (PDF). Retrieved 2006-09-13.
- Parker, Ray (2005-12-10). "Desert Ridge teacher wins U.S. award: $25K Milken". Arizona Republic. Retrieved 2006-11-21.
- 2010 Arizona State Marching Band Festival report from the Festival Results page on the Arizona Band and Orchestra Directors Association site.
- "Desert Ridge (Mesa, Ariz.) ace Jake Barrett has been known to punish himself with grueling runs following a loss - so it's a good thing he wins nearly every time out. - ESPN". Espn.go.com. June 3, 2009. Retrieved November 15, 2013.