No Bed of Roses
|No Bed of Roses (Doob)|
No Bed Of Roses poster
|Directed by||Mostofa Sarwar Farooki|
|Written by||Mostofa Sarwar Farooki|
|Music by||Chirkutt |
|Cinematography||Sheikh Rajibul Islam|
|Edited by||Momin Biswas|
|Distributed by||Jaaz Multimedia|
85 min (International cut)
No Bed of Roses (Doob as the Bengali version) is a 2017 Bangladesh-India co-production drama film written and directed by Mostofa Sarwar Farooki. It was produced by Abdul Aziz, Himanshu Dhanuka and Irrfan Khan under the banner of Jaaz Multimedia and Eskay Movies along with Irrfan Khan Films. It stars Irrfan Khan, Nusrat Imrose Tisha, Rokeya Prachy and Parno Mittra. The story builds up around the members of two families discovering the finer fabric of love when the headman of a family dies. The theme is that death doesn't always take things away: Sometimes it gives back. It was selected as the Bangladeshi entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 91st Academy Awards, but it was not nominated.
- Irrfan Khan as Javed Hasan
- Nusrat Imrose Tisha as Saberi
- Rokeya Prachy as Maya
- Parno Mittra as Nitu
- Rashad Hossain as Ahir
- Nader Chowdhury
- Ashok Dhanuka as Aynal
- Mujib Pardeshi
Principal photography began in March 2016 in Dhaka. Filming locations include Chittagong Hill Tracts, Sylhet, and Dhaka. On March 17, 2016, Irrfan Khan arrived in Dhaka, Bangladesh to scout for filming locations.
Internationally acclaimed director Farooki describes No Bed of Roses as a family story of loss and regain. Regarding the film Khan said, "When I saw his first film 'Ant Story', it immediately got me interested. I was impressed with his approach, style, and the way he unravels the story ... His works carry a strong humane angle, which is why his characters are multi layered."
No Bed of Roses had its world premiere at the Shanghai International Film Festival on June 25, 2017. After months of waiting for clearance, the film was finally announced to be released on 27 October 2017 in Bangladesh and India. Talks were on with distributors of respective countries whether the it can be released in Australia and Singapore on October 27.
- Film Bazaar 2013 - Winner - Dubai Film Market Award
- Shanghai International Film Festival, June 2017 - Competition
- Moscow International Film Festival, June 2017 - Winner - Kommersant Jury Prize
- In competition, El Gouna Film Festival, September 2017
- Official selection, Vancouver International Film Festival, September 2017
- Official selection, Busan International Film festival, October 2017
- Closing film, South Asian Film Festival, Paris, October 2017
- In competition, Asia Pacific Screen Awards, November 2017
- Official selection, 48th International Film Festival of India, Goa, 20–28 November 2017.
- Official Selection, IFFK Kerala 2017.
- Official Selection, Munich IFF 2018.
- Official Selection, SIFF 2018.
- Official Selection, Asian World Film Festival 2018, California.
“Thoroughly modern and unlike Farooki's previous work, this is a sobering, engrossing separation drama... It takes an actor of Irrfan Khan's stature and magnetism to turn an intimate separation drama into something special, and a writer-director like Bangladesh's happy maverick Mostofa Sarwar Farooki to layer on subtleties and shades of meaning with realistic detachment that never slips into melodrama... Its visual style and pacing make as much of an impression as the head-shaking story.” — Deborah Young, The Hollywood Reporter
"Directed with an assured and graceful touch that evokes the elegiac tone of a requiem, Mostofa Sarwar Farooki proves he’s a singular voice in Bangladeshi cinema. With Irrfan Khan delivering another sublime lead performance (while being billed as co-producer), the film should bloom at festivals and secure a limited release in India, despite some censorship issues back home…..Other actors in the mixed cast of Bangladeshis and Indians are equally absorbing, especially Tisha.” — Maggie Lee, Chief Asia Film Critic, Variety]
“The latest work from Mostofa Sawar Farooki No Bed Of Roses (Doob) is an intimate family drama which eschews the usual melodramatic trappings of such fare to explore the quietly devastating impact of a husband’s infidelity on those closest to him... Boasting an excellent central performance from acclaimed Indian actor Irrfan Khan... Khan is characteristically magnetic and surprisingly empathetic... While the story is salacious, Farooki’s nuanced screenplay avoids cliche — sex scenes are notably absent — to instead focus on the very real pain of the situation... Alongside Khan, who will be familiar to Western audiences, the cast is universally strong... the evolving relationship between mother and daughter in the wake of Javed’s seismic betrayal provides the emotional heart of the narrative, along with Saberi’s feelings towards her father, and it’s refreshing to see this age-old story told from the equal perspective of the women involved. Farooki handles the piece with grace and sensitivity; an approach augmented by Pavel Arin’s evocative score, which mixes the traditional and the contemporary, and debut cinematographer Sheikh Rajibul Islam’s arresting, contemplative visuals. — Nikki Baughan, Screen International
“Farooqi never quite ventures to spoon-feed us with an explanation of exactly why and how Javed Hasan reached the tipping point of leaving his family and marrying the girl who had broken his home. The human mind, with all its complexities, is simply left to itself here, the viewer encouraged to make his or her own interpretation with ample hints that could mean more things than one."
On February 16, 2017, the Ministry of Information halted the film's "no-objection" certificate. Earlier, writer Humayun Ahmed's wife Meher Afroz Shaon had brought to the government's notice that part of the film resembles a period of her deceased husband's life.
|Doob (No Bed of Roses)|
|Soundtrack album by|
The soundtrack music composed by Chirkutt.
|1.||"Ahare Jibon" (Composed by Chirkutt)||Sharmin Sultana Sumi||Chirkutt||Sharmin Sultana Sumi||4:15|
|2018||Filmfare Awards East||Irrfan Khan||Critics’ Award for Best Actor (Male)||Nominated|||
|Sharmin Sultana Sumi (Chirkutt) for "Ahare Jibon"||Best Lyrics||Nominated|
|Sheikh Rajibul Islam||Best Cinematography||Nominated|
|Pavel Areen||Best Background Score||Nominated|
- List of submissions to the 91st Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Bangladeshi submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "বাংলাদেশ ও ভারতে ২৭ অক্টোবর 'ডুব' - banglatribune.com". banglatribune.com. Archived from the original on 25 December 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- Kader, Manzur (August 9, 2017). "Doob gets censor certificate". Prothom-alo. Archived from the original on August 9, 2017. Retrieved August 10, 2017.
- "No Bed of Roses (2017)". Archived from the original on 2017-12-25.
- Bhaskaran, Gautaman (March 7, 2016). "Irrfan Khan to play lead in Bangladesh's No Bed of Roses". Hindustan TImes. Archived from the original on March 30, 2016. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- Ramachandran, Naman (February 29, 2016). "Irrfan Khan Climbs Into Mostofa Sarwar Farooki's 'No Bed of Roses'". Variety. Archived from the original on April 2, 2016. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- "Irrfan Khan to play lead in Bangladesh's film". The Financial Express. Dhaka. March 8, 2016. Archived from the original on January 3, 2017. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- Bhushan, Nyay (23 September 2018). "Oscars: Bangladesh Selects 'No Bed of Roses' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 23 September 2018.
- "Eager to explore 'No Bed Of Roses: Irrfan Khan". The Statesman. March 3, 2016. Archived from the original on January 11, 2017. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- Dutt, Shobhita (March 4, 2016). "Irrfan Khan Bags Another International Film, Bangladeshi Director's 'No Bed Of Roses'". India Times. Archived from the original on March 23, 2016. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- "Irrfan Khan to star in Bangladesi director's film 'No Bed Of Roses'". The Indian Express. PTI. March 3, 2016. Archived from the original on April 7, 2016. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- "Irrfan Khan's next, an international film, No Bed Of Roses". Bollywood Hungama. March 3, 2016. Archived from the original on March 25, 2016. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- "Irrfan Khan's Bangladeshi film, Doob, heads to Shanghai film fest for world premiere". Hindustan Times. IANS. June 12, 2017. Archived from the original on June 14, 2017. Retrieved June 14, 2017.
- "'Doob' to release 27 Oct". Prothom Alo. Archived from the original on 2017-12-25. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- "Indo-Bangla production 'Doob' to be released on Oct 27". Press Trust of India. 6 September 2017. Archived from the original on 6 September 2017.
- "Indo-Bangla jt production Doob to be released on Oct 27". intoday.in. Archived from the original on 25 December 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- "'Doob': Stunning flow of crafted images - The Statesman". thestatesman.com. 4 November 2017. Archived from the original on 25 December 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- "Doob: No Bed of Roses Movie Review, Trailer, & Show timings at Times of India". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 25 December 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- "Doob: No Bed of Roses movie review — This Bengali film starring Irrfan Khan is a must watch". firstpost.com. Archived from the original on 23 November 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- "Doob: The Frontier of a New Wave of Cinema". thedailystar.net. 11 November 2017. Archived from the original on 7 December 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- "Film Review: Doob". thedailystar.net. 28 October 2017. Archived from the original on 28 October 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- Kantho, Kaler. "ডুব : একটি অনবদ্য কাব্যাশ্রয়ী চলচ্চিত্র - কালের কণ্ঠ". kalerkantho.com. Archived from the original on 6 November 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- https://fahmidulhaq.wordpress.com/2017/10/31/ডুব-চরিত্রের-অপ্রকাশের-ভ/ Archived 2017-12-25 at the Wayback Machine
- "Doob goes to Shanghai film fest". New Age. June 11, 2017. Archived from the original on June 13, 2017.
- "Farooki's Doob to compete for top prize at Moscow International Film Festival". Dhaka Tribune. June 2, 2017. Archived from the original on June 6, 2017.
- "Farooki's Doob wins Kommersant Weekend Prize in Moscow". bdnews24.com. Archived from the original on 2017-10-18.
- "Irrfan Khan's Bangladeshi film, Doob, heads to Shanghai film fest for world premiere". hindustantimes.com. 12 June 2017. Archived from the original on 22 September 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- "Irrfan Khan's Doob Wins At Moscow International Film Festival". news18.com. Archived from the original on 26 September 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- "Doob nominated for Asia Pacific Screen Awards - The Asian Age Online, Bangladesh". dailyasianage.com. Archived from the original on 25 December 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- "Cinema of the world". iffigoa.org. 10 November 2017. Archived from the original on 1 December 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- "'No Bed of Roses' ('Doob'): Film Review - Shanghai 2017". hollywoodreporter.com. Archived from the original on 28 November 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- Lee, Maggie (28 July 2017). "Film Review: 'No Bed of Roses' ('Doob')". variety.com. Archived from the original on 28 November 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- "'No Bed Of Roses' ('Doob'): Shanghai Review". screendaily.com. Archived from the original on 26 November 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- Rudra Haque (February 18, 2017). "Director Farooki's "Doob: No Bed of Roses" stalled". bdnews24.com. Archived from the original on February 25, 2017. Retrieved February 25, 2017.
- "Nominations for the Jio Filmfare Awards (East) 2018". filmfare.com. Retrieved 2018-02-14.