Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Aleksei German Jr|
Art and Pop Corn
|Distributed by||WDSSPR(Russia) Netflix(United States)|
Dovlatov (Russian: Довлатов) is a 2018 Russian biographical film about writer Sergei Dovlatov, directed by Aleksei German and starring Milan Marić and Danila Kozlovsky. It premiered at the 2018 Berlin International Film Festival in competition on the 17th of February, where it won the Silver Bear for Outstanding Artistic Contribution.
The film tells about a few days in the life of writer Sergei Dovlatov (Milan Marić) in 1971 Leningrad, on the eve of the emigration of his friend, the future Nobel laureate Joseph Brodsky (Artur Beschastny). Sergei is determined to stay and lead a normal life with his wife Elena (Helena Sujecka) and daughter Katya (Eva Herr). Dovlatov's manuscripts are regularly rejected by the official media as his point of view is deemed undesirable. His friend is artist David (Danila Kozlovsky), a fartsovshchik who sells foreign goods on the black market. During this time Sergei tries to buy his daughter a German doll but is not able to find one anywhere.
- Milan Marić as Sergei Dovlatov
- Danila Kozlovsky as David
- Helena Sujecka as Elena Dovlatova
- Eva Herr as Katya Dovlatova
- Artur Beschastny as Joseph Brodsky
- Anton Shagin as Anton Kuznetsov
- Svetlana Khodchenkova as actress, Dovlatov's girlfriend
- Elena Lyadova as young editor
- Igor Mityushkin as Sholom Schwartz
- Pyotr Gonsovsky as Semyon Alexandrovich
- Tamara Oganesyan as Nora Dovlatova
- Denis Shlenkov as site manager
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 83%, based on 6 reviews with an average rating of 6/10. Metacritic gives the film a weighted average score of 66 out of 100, based on 5 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- Clarke, Stewart (18 December 2017). "Gus Van Sant's 'Don't Worry' Among First Berlinale Competition Titles to Be Unveiled". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (18 December 2017). "Berlin Film Festival Sets Gus Van Sant, Benoît Jacquot On Early Competition Roster". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- Mez, Ed (24 February 2018). "Berlin Festival Awards: 'Touch Me Not' Wins Golden Bear for Best Film". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- "Dovlatov (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- "Dovlatov Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 27 August 2018.